KOSEN-1 CW beacon date format

Does anyone have information on how to “translate” the data sent from the KOSEN-1 satellite into human-readable values ??

Taking into account what we have available on this website HERE we can see the following format :

• JR5YGJ KOSEN-1
  • S1 [RSSI] [BAT-T] [BAT-V] [BAT-I]
  • S2 [LOAD-I] [SC-Z] [SC-Y] [SC-X]

I believe that these values ​​need to be translated into decimal (or maybe binary ? :thinking:) but we still need more information on how to make these decimal values ​​readable

I tried to contact the team via the email provided and via X/Twitter but I didn’t get a response.

Please, I don’t have a lot of knowledge on how to decode satellites (I want to learn about it) so if I said something stupid, understand me :grin:

1 Like

Hi Igor,

You are asking the right question!

And if you checked on KOSEN-1’s Twitter account you may have noticed, that nobody else before asked how to translate those hexadecimal values into readable values for Celsius, Volts, Amperes …
They just uploaded S1 and S2 beacon values diligently.

I’m looking forward to someone who can share the conversion formulas.

Daniel

1 Like

Thanks for your answer Daniel !!!

It’s so cool when teams provide all the documentation like the SAKURA team did…

Tonight I tried to program a decoder for SAKURA in Python… I don’t know how correct this is because I’m not a good Python programmer and it’s also the first time I’ve done this (I still have some doubts MAINLY regarding the DATA-1, 2 and 3 data) :

I saw that someone (maybe you?) have already made a dasboard for KASHIWA so I think something will appear soon for SAKURA

As for KOSEN-1, I would really like to have access to the CW beacon documentation so I could study a little more about how to make these decoders!!!

73’s de PU4ELT :brazil:

1 Like

You are right, the SAKURA team provides all information.
To make the decoder (and then the dashboard) for KASHIWA (probably the same team) I had to ask for conversion formulas.

This time, for SAKURA, they will build both themselves as far as I heard.

Your decoder looks impressive!
And even those stand alone decoders have its eligibility, I would focus on building a SatNOGS decoder in kaitai, so someone can make a dashboard to provide everyone a visual overview of received values.

As for data1,2,3, convert the hex values into binary.
So data1 (A1) would be 10100001.
According to the information provided you can now assign the first bit [1] (from left) to PWR_5V0 and its meaning “ON”.

1 Like

Cool!! so I was doing it the right way… Then I need to understand how dashboards are made

I hope something from KOSEN-1 appears and also from the recently launched CosmoGirl-Sat (I sent an email to the KOSEN-1 team CosmoGirl-Sat but so far I haven’t received a response)

It’s really cool to try to understand more clearly what the satellite sends us :grin:

1 Like

https://network.satnogs.org/observations/10160053/

1 Like

Two more observations tonight
https://network.satnogs.org/observations/10160057/
https://network.satnogs.org/observations/10160058/

1 Like

Thank you for your observations… I still haven’t found anything about the format of the cw sent by the satellite :worried:

1 Like

I have asked for the CW telemetry details to the Kosen team and they have answered me that the conversion methods are not opened.

Is this normal or allowed when they are transmitting in a hamradio band ???

2 Likes

I was already impressed that they responded to you. I honestly don’t know what is and what is not allowed when it comes to the amateur band for satellites.

Hi David,

IARU says:

" … operators of satellites in the amateur-satellite service must publish full details of their modulation, encoding and telemetry formats and equations before launch.

Could you post the email address and the person’s name behind it?
I like to try to get in touch with him/her.

I’m curious if IARU had the balls to revoke an already completed frequency coordination (KOSEN-2) in case of not abiding by the agreement.

2 Likes

Hi Daniel:

Thanks for the IARU document. I was looking for it.

With your permission, let me answer the Kosen-1 team by myself with your very correct arguments and I will keep ypu updated about their position regarding that “not opened telemetry format”.

Best 73
David EA4SG

3 Likes

At the moment, no answer from Kosen-1 Project Manager to my request. My last email has not been answered. I have sent a nice reminder, but I am not so optimistic.

2 Likes

Well, I think we have the format !!! It’s already late at night here in Brazil, but this afternoon I’ll take a closer look at this table :

The table is available on the official website (HERE)

Yesterday (2024-10-21) I received an eQSL card after a few months of waiting

3 Likes

Great!
They’ve added information for conversion.

They also added callsign and reception hours to their QSL card.
I guess I have to apply for a new one.

I’ll try to build a decoder the next days.

1 Like

Well, I couldn’t sleep without trying to do something (it’s almost 3AM here :rofl:)

I used the data collected by @HS318 HERE and got this result:

I checked everything manually, but there’s a chance the result is wrong (I’m sleepy)

2 Likes

Your values are, I’ve recalculate it.

2 Likes