Joints for Radome?

I’d like to have a go at building the radome but have no access to a 3d printer to make the joints. Is anyone offering (or planning to) the pieces as a kit?

With winter approaching here in New England I think it would be a good time to test the design under snow loading.

Thanks!

T.

1 Like

Hey Tim!

Welcome to the forum. Dimitris is developing some new joints for additional rigidity. We could arrange some shipping for testing once those are out.

A couple of questions:

• Do you have access (and/or experience) to shrink wrap material ?
  • What PVC pipes are available in your area? (specifically inner and outer diameters close to 20mm)

I am unencumbered by experience with, or access to shrink wrapping. :wink: I had a notion to try a few layers of food wrap. Not the lightweight ‘cling’ film you get in the grocery store but a wider, heavier grade used by commercial kitchens.

My initial plan is to build the radome without the antenna array inside so if there is a failure I do not loose it.

Here is a sample of what PVC is generally available here: http://www.lowes.com/pd_23987-1814-PVC+23155++0600_0__?productId=3133101&Ntt=pvc+pipe&Ns=p_product_price|0&pl=1&currentURL=%3FNs%3Dp_product_price|0%26Ntt%3Dpvc%2Bpipe%26page%3D1&facetInfo= . The OD on this example is a bit over 21mm.

T.

I’m in North East Ohio

I’m in the same boat as Tim - I don’t have access to a 3D printer (yet!) so I am also looking for a source for 3D parts to put my own ground station together (including Radome)

I would be more than happy to pay for materials and shipping if the SatNogs team were to make a printed parts kit!

Hello everyone! I’m new to the project… Any ways, has anyone thought of a tent? A better suggestion would be to make a hardened antenna. I work with SATCOM and a radome can be a nice thing to have, however, you have to clean them off, high rain fall allows rain to accumulate on the skin, like a sheet, even as its draining. So, unless we absolutely have to use a radome, which would be something like a pacific island with high humidity and salt content, we try to avoid them.

hey everyone. i’m located in linz, austria and relatively new to the topic, although a dxpatrol i on its way :wink: i intend to build a radome for aesthetic reasons and have access to a dimension elite thermoplast printer. @pierros, when do you plan to release the aforementioned joints? are they gonna be published on github as well?

kind regards.

@ososdo some preliminary designs of the radome hardware designs (joints included) and BOM have already being published in github (kudos to @pierros and @mr_dimitris) although we haven’t completed testing them with a covering material yet. :smile: