IZ5RZR - Building of Satnogs rotator V. 3.0.1 - ROTATOR IS DONE!

Hi Alfredo. Actually not, but I think to do that.
5.18 stepper motor is strong enough to hold grid antenna but surely a counterweight is better

What size dish is that?

Hi, I’ve found the picture on the internet, no idea about the size, sorry. But it seems bigger than IZ5RZR one!
But I liked the implementation of the counterweight on the satnogs rotator.

I am impressed with the construction of this rotator. Was it made on a 3D printer?

1 Like

What can you do with a 3D printer, and what can you buy online to get a working rotator?

@lucas.tesla Check out the SatNOGS rotator page for detailed instructions.

https://wiki.satnogs.org/SatNOGS_Rotator_v3

About a dozen parts are 3D printed, the rest of the part are available from various online vendors. Built one myself about a year ago, a rewarding project.

A commonly used commercial rotator is a Yaesu G-5500.

2 Likes

Hello! I have a question about this build. Looking at the plans and how it is getting assembled I dont quite understand what keeps the two frames with the antennas sliding down on the vertical pole. The aluminum cylinder goes through the two berings on the opposed sides of the lower frame (down and up) but the frame’s top is not covered so the pole could move up and down freely if I’m not mistaken.

Now i see that on both sides of the frame there are gears which are fixed onto the pole with set screws. These gears prevent the vertical motion, so they need to hold the whole thing. But the design mentions only 4 m2 holes in the pole which is for just one of these gears, the other side doesnt have these extra holes it just simple screwed to the pole itself

So this means to me that the only thing that mechanically peevents it from sliding is these 4 little set screws.

On top of that those screws are m3 size and the hole is m2 in the design. The head of the screw is conic so I suppose the tip of it will find its home in those little holes.

Am I correct in describing this? Thanks