It's time to upgrade the software of your stations

Hit Update and then Apply. This will retrigger a runof the whole playbook. Focus on the part where satnogs-clients hosts are provisioned.

rtl-sdr has not changed since the last update. What has changed it that rigctld is not executed by the client any more Instead it is started with a systemd service. Failure to start rigtctld could explain why the tuner remains unlocked (if it does cause I don’t see the rest of the logs).

This version of SatNOGS Client Ansible should have taken care of starting rigctld without requiring any user intervention. Can you make sure it did by running systemctl status rigctld?

From what I can see from the log it only shows the sample rate as 1 MSPS it doesn’t say anything about where its tuned.

1 Like

many thanks for your effort so far. the rigctld is running (after reception and also after reboot).

did some further debugging according the troubleshooting wiki page and kicked in following stuff which is pretty interessting. After an reception this message turns up:
pi@oe6xug-satnogs-pi:/tmp $ sudo satnogs_fm_demod.py --rx-sdr-device=rtlsdr --rx-freq=438000000 --file-path=./audio-out.ogg --waterfall-file-path=./waterfall.dat
gr-osmosdr 0.1.4 (0.1.4) gnuradio 3.7.13.4
built-in source types: file osmosdr fcd rtl rtl_tcp uhd miri hackrf bladerf rfspace airspy airspyhf soapy redpitaya freesrp
Using device #0 Generic RTL2832U SN: 77771111153705700
Using 32 buffers of size 16384.
Found Rafael Micro R820T tuner
[R82XX] PLL not locked!
Exact sample rate is: 1000000.026491 Hz
[R82XX] PLL not locked!
/root/.gnuradio/prefs/vmcircbuf_default_factory: No such file or directory
vmcircbuf_createfilemapping: createfilemapping is not available
gr::vmcircbuf_sysv_shm: shmat (2): Invalid argument
Allocating 32 zero-copy buffers

after a clean reboot this:
pi@oe6xug-satnogs-pi:/tmp $ sudo satnogs_fm_demod.py --rx-sdr-device=rtlsdr --rx-freq=438000000 --file-path=./audio-out.ogg --waterfall-file-path=./waterfall.dat
gr-osmosdr 0.1.4 (0.1.4) gnuradio 3.7.13.4
built-in source types: file osmosdr fcd rtl rtl_tcp uhd miri hackrf bladerf rfspace airspy airspyhf soapy redpitaya freesrp
Using device #0 Generic RTL2832U SN: 77771111153705700
Using 32 buffers of size 16384.
Found Rafael Micro R820T tuner
[R82XX] PLL not locked!
Exact sample rate is: 1000000.026491 Hz
[R82XX] PLL not locked!
Allocating 32 zero-copy buffers

This concludes to me that somehow i suffer by buffer issues probably. But regardless the message .ogg and .dat file is generated but with no real recepted content. I know for sure that qrg was active and placed some signal on.
maybe the gain parameter gets lost. is there a way to debug and read the exact params to the rtl suite binaries?

br Robert

since i’ve the impression that the receiver got numb by parameters i also configured if-gain and bb-gain as well with no real sucess.

Can anyone please, who migrated already successful with rpi3 + rtl-dongle setup, paste the configuration params here (of course without api key or other sensitive material).
This would help me to step forward to gain back old sensitivity.

many thanks in advance, br Robert

Check this issue: https://gitlab.com/librespacefoundation/satnogs/gr-satnogs/issues/161

Now that you have executed the script as pi user, you will hit the above bug. Remove /tmp/iq.dat file to fix it.

Regarding the gains, just remove the options completely (make them blank) and they will revert to the default.

I recently did an “in place” upgrade of my RPi3 from Stretch to Buster. I believe I followed the instructions at https://wiki.satnogs.org/SatNOGS_Client_Ansible#Upgrading_from_.27stretch.27_to_.27buster.27, with the result that satnogs-client-1.0 and gr-satnogs-1.5.1-1 are indicated at the top of the satnogs-setup UI. When I go to check the logs using journalctl -u satnogs-client.service, I get a bunch of warnings of the type

-- Logs begin at Thu 2020-01-16 12:24:24 UTC, end at Thu 2020-01-16 12:34:25 UTC. --

Jan 16 12:24:26 rpi3bp systemd[1]: Started SatNOGS client.

Jan 16 12:25:33 rpi3bp satnogs-client[280]: /usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/urllib3/connectionpool.py:849: InsecureRequestWarning: Unverified HTTPS request is being made. Adding certificate verification is strongly advised. See: https://urllib3.readthedocs.io/en/latest/advanced-usage.html#ssl-warnings

Jan 16 12:25:33 rpi3bp satnogs-client[280]: InsecureRequestWarning)

I gather that there is a python2 vs. python3 issue here? Would anyone know how I can fix this?

Many thanks!
Andreas

1 Like

@va2wbt

See if this helps:

sudo update-ca-certificates

Thanks @jebba. I just tried it, but it looks like those are already up-to-date? See here:

sudo update-ca-certificates

Updating certificates in /etc/ssl/certs...

0 added, 0 removed; done.

Running hooks in /etc/ca-certificates/update.d...

done.
1 Like

After updating my raspberry satnogs client, I got an error and now my station is OFFLINE…

I started from an Raspberry Image, everything was fine, my station started again, but I tried to “UPDATE TOOL” from satnogs-setup, and now I have problems and no idea how to solve them…

Could you help me?

The error message I got is this:

Executing playbook site.yml

• satnogs-setups on hosts: satnogs-setups -
    Gathering Facts…
    [WARNING]: Unhandled error in Python interpreter discovery for host satnogs:
    Using a SSH password instead of a key is not possible because Host Key checking
    is enabled and sshpass does not support this. Please add this host’s
    fingerprint to your known_hosts file to manage this host.

satnogs failed | msg: Using a SSH password instead of a key is not possible be cause Host Key checking is enabled and sshpass does not support this. Please ad d this host’s fingerprint to your known_hosts file to manage this host.

• Play recap -
    satnogs : ok=0 changed=0 unreachable=0 failed=1 rescued=0 ignored=0
    pi@raspberrypi:~/satnogs-client-ansible $ sudo satnogs-setup
    Traceback (most recent call last):
    File “/var/lib/satnogs-config/bin/satnogs-config”, line 5, in
    from satnogsconfig import main
    File “/var/lib/satnogs-config/lib/python3.5/site-packages/satnogsconfig/init.py”, line 6, in
    import pkg_resources
    File “/var/lib/satnogs-config/lib/python3.5/site-packages/pkg_resources/init.py”, line 26, in
    import zipfile
    File “/usr/lib/python3.5/zipfile.py”, line 9, in
    import importlib.util
    File “/var/lib/satnogs-config/lib/python3.5/importlib/util.py”, line 7, in
    from ._bootstrap_external import MAGIC_NUMBER, _BACKCOMPAT_MAGIC_NUMBER
    ImportError: cannot import name ‘_BACKCOMPAT_MAGIC_NUMBER’
    pi@raspberrypi:~/satnogs-client-ansible $

If I try to make sudo satnogs-setup:

pi@raspberrypi:~ $ sudo satnogs-setup
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “/var/lib/satnogs-config/bin/satnogs-config”, line 5, in
from satnogsconfig import main
File “/var/lib/satnogs-config/lib/python3.5/site-packages/satnogsconfig/init.py”, line 6, in
import pkg_resources
File “/var/lib/satnogs-config/lib/python3.5/site-packages/pkg_resources/init.py”, line 26, in
import zipfile
File “/usr/lib/python3.5/zipfile.py”, line 9, in
import importlib.util
File “/var/lib/satnogs-config/lib/python3.5/importlib/util.py”, line 7, in
from ._bootstrap_external import MAGIC_NUMBER, _BACKCOMPAT_MAGIC_NUMBER
ImportError: cannot import name ‘_BACKCOMPAT_MAGIC_NUMBER’

Is there any SD card image for Client 1.0?

Maybe it could the solution to my problem…

Thanks

What kind of Gnuradio (v3.7 or 3.8) you need for image?

Hi Alexander. Everything is OK, no need for an image…Mny Thanks

This morning, I started from zero, installed last raspberry image I found, starting with 0.9 client version and then updated from satnogs-setup, and now is working fine.

I don’t know what happened yesterday…

Thanks for ur help

EA5WA Juan Carlos

1 Like