Interfacing existing Ground Stations with SatNOGS

Hi,

Let me start very “generic” can I interface my Ground Station with SatNOGS?

Ground Station schematic overview

With regards, PE0SAT

1 Like

yes!! Though the instructions aren’t quite there yet, the design is made to be modular so as to allow someone to swap out satnogs-designed parts for commercial gear or any other setup. The satnogs-client interfaces with hamlib so as long as the rotor is supported by rotctld it would work. (The hardware inside of the satnogs tracker itself implemented easycomm 2 rotor protocol.)

So, if someone had a full rotor and antenna stack, all that would be needed is the SDR and computer (currently testing against a beaglebone black and tplink).

I spoke to quite a few people at Hamvention who have such a setup sitting at home idle - with satnogs installed those ground stations could be automatically controlled and made use of without the operator present!

What about just the decoded output? At the moment I have multiple megabytes on decoded data and there almost no satellite builders that have an interface where you can upload the received data.

There are exceptions such as: FUNcube-1/2/etc, M-CUBED, GRIFEX, DO-64 and UWE-3

Just a thought

1 Like

A very good one! Right now from the website end the workflow is expected to be from the satnogs client into the website. I think uploading and sharing data manually is a good idea as well - ideally satnogs becomes a central, open repository for receptions from all over. The only issue here is that the website is currently designed to focus on scheduled passes and collecting/displaying data from those scheduled passes, rather than general or data viewed from a historical perspective. First steps I feel would be a satellite view into all data for that satellite rather than for an observation.

You can see a dev instance of the website/network code here - currently some dummy data inserted so I don’t think there are any observations collected here yet (though it has been successfully tested elsewhere) https://network-dev.satnogs.org/

@comzeradd thoughts?

Cheers!

1 Like

Hi,
I’ve been thinking about this as well.
Actually that’s how I stumbled into this community as I wanted to graph and collect lightsail data.

To me it looked like satnogs covers crowd sourced data collection from satellites.
Actually extracting data from telemetry and storing them in a central repository would be separate activity
as I suspect that each satellite would have to have it’s own telemetry decoder.

The way I thought about it was to take advantage of existing open source projects

1. Use time series database along the lines of influxdb/graphite and then graphana as a frontend
  2. Use elasticsearch for it’s rich capabilities of handling text like payloads
2 Likes

My packet (AFSK, FSK) based decoded data has an UTC time field, that would make it possible to add it to a generic db.

1 Like

Hey @PE0SAT ! Your satellite tracking setup is impressive and a reference point. We would be thrilled to have it interface with SatNOGS. Unfortunately due to some fluidity around Network and Client, we are still not able to provide a single easy to follow guide for existing setups (this will come soon though!).

It would be great if you are interested to work with us as a pilot for this and interface your existing station first into the Network. Let me know how this sounds and we can arrange a call to dive into the specifics!

1 Like

Sorry for the late reply.

The pilot idea sound good, I was thinking of interfacing with the help of the kiss server that is part of the sound-modem software that I use. At the moment this is also being used to interface with MXL (GRIFEX CubeSat) have a look at http://www.pe0sat.vgnet.nl/decoding/block-diagram/.

The GS from MXL has python and java code.

What SDR are you using there? (I assume you are not using the FT-847 for the SPROUT and GRIFEX screenshots)

I am using a FUNcube Dongle Pro+