IARU Amateur Satellite Coordination Process

Hi everyone, I’m an Electrical Engineering student and am part of my universities spacecraft club. We’ve been given the opportunity to operate an amateur radio payload on board an upcoming cubesat mission. I’ve been tasked with completing the IARU amateur satellite coordination process. I’m hoping to get some advice and direction from any of you who have gone through this process. Here are some of the questions I have after going through the IARU coordination request form:

• Sections 5.14, 7.3, and 8.1 ask for specific frequencies that we want to use. The transceiver on our satellite can operate anywhere in the 70 centimeter band. How do we pick a specific frequency to use? Can we just ask the IARU to assign us a good frequency?

• Section 7.1 is asking for a telecommand station call sign. Should we apply for a club call sign, or can an individual member of our club use their own amateur call sign?

• Our transmissions will be modulated with FSK, and our transmitter is capable of 10kb/s. What data rate would be best for the SatNOGS network? 9600 baud?

• Section 9.8 asks for a list of other amateur satellites that will be sharing the same launch. Our satellite is going to be launched on the SpaceX Transporter-10 rideshare mission. Is their a publicly accessible list of other amateur missions on that launch?

Thank you all very much for your help. We’re excited to be a part of the amateur radio satellite community.

3 Likes

Hello and welcome, @rsawyer. I have not been through the IARU process (yet) but these are my observations/opinions on it.

For section 9.8, this site which lists Transporter-10 has been a goto source for most Transporter-X launches in terms of what payloads will be flying on it. It will change weekly up until the final week(s) before launch. It’s an ever changing list so what it looks like today will look very different in 2024 Q1. And there may not be any frequency information posted with some of the other satellites.

How do we pick a specific frequency to use? Can we just ask the IARU to assign us a good frequency?

The fact that your radio allows the frequency to be reprogrammed is key (this isn’t always the case). You can request a certain frequency and maybe you’ll be approved for it, but if the frequency overlaps with too many other satellites, IARU might deny it and offer a different frequency in the same range. Hence the key term ‘coordinated’, as in the ability to be flexible with the frequency for the good of the amateur radio satellite community.

Scott

2 Likes

Saludos que me alegro que tengas la oportunidad de trabajar en un proyecto de lanzamiento de satélite, con la sección 5.14,7.3, 8.1 lo primero que yo haría es investigar que frecuencias están en uso o dejaron de usar porque los satélites se les termino la batería pero cuando el panel solar los carga transmiten, eso para no entrar en conflictos con alguno que este al aire y si eres aficionado puedes por medio del club al que perteneces investigar a nivel internacional si alguna estación terrena tiene las frecuencia que tienes en mente.

sección 7.1 Definitivamente tienes que tener indicativos para la estación terrena, porque si tienes que subir información es necesario, así están cubiertos, pero OJO tienes que tramitar indicativos a nombre de la institución pues si eres estudiante a fin, te vas y se queda sin indicativo e vuelve un proyecto fallido y pienso que la idea es que puedan aprender todos los estudiantes.

La modulación ese es un tema complicado porque tienen que tener definido para que va a servir el satélite si es de voz, de data, telemetría, meteorología etc… como son proyectos en conjunto tienen que estar definidos que va a tx. aquí hago una pausa para contarte que en C.A hubo un concurso para lanzar cubesat, tenia que ser una alianza entre radio aficionados y universidades, todo iba bien pero de repente las universidades dejaron fuera la participación de los radioaficionados, los satélites están en orbita algunos ya están fuera del aire por x motivos, te cuento esto para que no menosprecien los conocimientos que tenemos los radioaficionados y sea una buena alianza con las universidades y desde luego no nos dejen afuera.

sección 9.8 para esto tienes que ponerte en contacto por medio de los club de radioaficionados y las demás universidades, algo difícil porque si es como en mi país cada universidad quiere protagonismo y no te van a dar información, que tengas suerte