How to find what other satellites are visible during observation?

Hi All,

I’d like to understand how to synthesize information available in SatNOGS DB so I can understand what is the other satellite/s signal visible on the observation waterfall?

Frequently I am facing a situation where I have autoscheduled an observation which is not showing me any data from the satellite of interest but a tangent lines are visible on the waterfall.
If I could find a way (best if scripted/autoated) to learn which other satellite was visible that would give me valuable information on how my antenna perform, because the signal may come from the object that is not scheduled by default (say elevation or angles set in a way not allowing for autoscheduling) and in fact for some reason it goes through (signal bouncing from buildings, antenna characteristics etc.).

I would appreciate all comments so I could understand how to approach this topic in more programming way.
Maybe gnu radio should analyze that there is something else on the waterfall (after Doppler shift removal) and match it to potential candidates from the database?..

Grzegorz

1 Like

During last year’s GSOC there was created a project that tries to help with this issue. Unfortunately I haven’t found the time yet to make this part of DB or Network. You can take a look at the code here.

1 Like

@fredy thanks for a link.
Unfortunately I cant make the code working.

Cloned the repo, installed requirements, installed module using pip3 install -e /path/to/repo and when trying to run tests I get:

pi@SatNOGS:~/satnogs-collisions $ python3 -m unittest tests/test
E
======================================================================
ERROR: tests/test (unittest.loader._FailedTest)
----------------------------------------------------------------------
ImportError: Failed to import test module: tests/test
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/lib/python3.7/unittest/loader.py", line 154, in loadTestsFromName
    module = __import__(module_name)
ModuleNotFoundError: No module named 'tests/test'

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Ran 1 test in 0.001s

FAILED (errors=1)

but ./tests/test.py is there.

Also when trying to load something from the module in python3 I get:

Python 3.7.3 (default, Jan 22 2021, 20:04:44)
[GCC 8.3.0] on linux
Type "help", "copyright", "credits" or "license" for more information.
>>> from satnogs_collisions import *
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
  File "/home/pi/satnogs-collisions/satnogs_collisions/__init__.py", line 1, in <module>
    from .GSS import (detect_RF_collision_of_satellite_over_groundstation,detect_RF_collision_of_satellite_over_groundstations,detect_RF_collision_of_satellites_over_groundstation,
  File "/home/pi/satnogs-collisions/satnogs_collisions/GSS/__init__.py", line 1, in <module>
    from .gss import (detect_RF_collision_of_satellite_over_groundstation,detect_RF_collision_of_satellite_over_groundstations,
  File "/home/pi/satnogs-collisions/satnogs_collisions/GSS/gss.py", line 2, in <module>
    from satnogs_collisions.satellite import Satellite
  File "/home/pi/satnogs-collisions/satnogs_collisions/satellite/__init__.py", line 1, in <module>
    from .satellite import Satellite
  File "/home/pi/satnogs-collisions/satnogs_collisions/satellite/satellite.py", line 2, in <module>
    from satellite_tle import fetch_tle_from_celestrak
ModuleNotFoundError: No module named 'satellite_tle'

Any ideas on how to properly install and use satnogs_collisions in python3?

Hi,
ModuleNotFoundError: No module named ‘satellite_tle’

The module name is satellitetle not satellite_tle. then install satellitetle from Pypi

ModuleNotFoundError: No module named 'tests/test'

make a test to check if the module is tests/test by: tests:test --version.

1 Like