How to decode TLM

Hello :slight_smile:
I’m trying to develop ground station in the univ project. But it’s really difficult to find information about all that somewhere really, as I am new in RF it took me a lot of time to be at this point where I am now and also with help of You guys there :slight_smile: !!!

anyway, I will be more then happy if someone can give me any tips how to at least go in good direction of ‘decoding TLM’. So, I have Kenwood TS2000, yaesu G5500 with rotor + elevation controler. Everything is running on Linux - hamlib + gpredict.

There is still few things I cannot resolve :

• I found on DK3WN website a lot of software (but mostly for windows) but its dedicated to certain satellites, and I wish to have something more general - I was thinking og GNU Radio – BUT this is a hell of installation and understanding so if anyone can give me any advice how to work with that it will be amazing.

-also i think I will need to buy USB signalink to connect kenwood to PC, right ? Will it then use my soundcard as an input for its reception ?

Well I’m really lost in this point :frowning:

Joanna,

I think you are overwhelmed because the scope of your project is very broad. There is no one single setup that can be used to receive telemetry from satellites, so, naturally, you get very broad results when you search for information.

I sounds like you already have your antenna and radio up and running. You can select a satellite in gpredict, track it, and listen to the audio in the speakers. That’s very good progress!

I recommend that you start with one satellite, or satellites using the same type of transmission. It could be the the AMSAT Fox-1 satellites for which you can use their FoxTelem application to decode telemetry using audio from your TS2000. FoxTelem is written in Java and runs on Linux just fine.

You will need some audio interface between the radio and the computer. A Signalink USB sound card is very good, but simpler constructions also work just fine if you can do some basic electronics. I think there are plenty of audio interface projects on the web.

I hope this can show you one way to move forward :slight_smile:

Alex

Alex,

I recommend that you start with one satellite, or satellites using the same type of transmission. It could be the the AMSAT Fox-1 satellites for which you can use their FoxTelem application to decode telemetry using audio from your TS2000. FoxTelem is written in Java and runs on Linux just fine.

I already installed FoxTelem, but while recording audio from transceiver by microphone (cause for now there is no connection between kenwood and PC soundcard) and then converting it to wav and loading in FoxTelem (AO-91 btw) it didn’t work → SNR 1.3, no frame captured :frowning: but I will keep trying few times more, maybe pass was not so clear.

You will need some audio interface between the radio and the computer. A Signalink USB sound card is very good, but simpler constructions also work just fine if you can do some basic electronics. I think there are plenty of audio interface projects on the web.

Well electronic part is not my thing hehe :stuck_out_tongue: I think sooner or later my univ will buy signalink …

Thank You Alex, by helping me again I appreciated it :slight_smile:
Currently I’m fighting with gnu radio dependencies

Joanna