How do I switch the Auto Scheduler on and off?

Hi all!

I don’t know why Auto Scheduler is active. I do update the client from time to time and some month ago an update enabled the Auto Scheduler. Sometimes I need my antenna for local chat and I don’t want to get failed or bad observations. If I delete some of the next observations, the scheduler sometimes creates new observations.

73, Norbert

Note that @BOCTOK-1 schedules observations on a lot of stations as the user Auto Scheduler. Perhaps you are interpreting these observations as being generated by your own auto-scheduler?

1 Like

ok, that might be the case. I find this misleading. And I wonder why the “Auto Scheduler” observations are always the same more or less 10 different satellites :slight_smile:

That’s probably because those are the satellites @BOCTOK-1 is interested in. Note that observations scheduled with your auto-scheduler will have you as the scheduler – the auto-scheduler does not change that because it is using your network credentials.

Thanks, learned something :slight_smile:

Yes, this also confused me when I joined a few months ago. I was also wondering why the user with the name ‘auto scheduler’ did not work for my station. Then I found on the wiki I should run it by myself. No problem, works perfect! I guessed the ‘auto scheduler’ user was for older stations or something. Still did not understand it. Now it appears to be an ordinary user (or core member).

To avoid confusion for future users, it would be best to rename this user ‘auto scheduler’ to the (nick)name of the person behind it. That would make it clear and easier to contact him. Ofcourse I appreciate his observation work! :grinning:

2 Likes

That’s not true :slight_smile:, the selection is based on some algorithms and statistics. Are these algorithms and statistics perfect, of course not, we need to improve them both of them to utilize better the whole network.

The user auto-scheduler is exactly what it says, it’s not a human behind it but only algorithms, this is why we use this user to separate it from other manual scheduling. Ideally and in the future the plan is to have these algorithms to run inside the network taking into account several needs, station owners preferences/priorities, the utilization factor of each station, satellite and station statistics etc.

Let me try to clear the confusion, auto-scheduler as a project is meant to be a tool for station owners to schedule with their preferences and priorities satellites in an automatic way to their stations. So you need to run it manually.

The algorithms that schedule with the auto-scheduler user are running kind of centrally and use statistics for creating the priority list. It also tries to respect the utilization factor of each station, so this is probably a reason for not having any scheduled observation from it.

:smiley: We created this user exactly because there was a confusion when the algorithms scheduled observations with the username of @BOCTOK-1, because there isn’t any person behind it. @BOCTOK-1 takes care of their continuous running and some tuning that is needed sometimes but is far from scheduling himself all these observations.

If you have any question, issue, request etc related to the auto-scheduler(as user), scheduling and other operations the best way is to open an issue in the Operations repo.

2 Likes

Are these algorithms also reading this forum? :wink:Because the moment I was reading your post, Fredy, the user auto scheduler came by my station and made its first of many observations. Where can we read more about this algorithm? Is it on github/lab? I am curious how it works.

The confusion between methods is gone for me. I understand the choices that have been made. Fair enough! But maybe we should mention this on the wiki of auto scheduler project. Anyway, thanks for clearing this up! :+1:

2 Likes

It looks like I didn’t have the whole picture of how exactly auto-scheduling works, so I apologize for any wrong info on my previous post. After a discussion with @BOCTOK-1 and @pierros I’m now more confident to describe how it currently works:

Automate process:
Auto-scheduling works with multiple instances of auto-scheduler, so the used algorithm and statistics are those of the auto-scheduler.

You can see the main logic in this code. In short it checks the success rate of the transmitter, how many good observations of this transmitter exist and what is the max elevation of the pass and gives a priority value to this pass.

After having a complete sorted list of passes with priority values, it follows it and schedules the observations. This process runs every 3 hours and looks for passes in the next 4 hours.

Manual process:
Stations are added manually by @BOCTOK-1 after some time(not standard) of analyzing their status. So, this is the reason that @EelkeVisser didn’t see any observation in his station. My wrong assumption here was that I thought that auto-scheduling runs for every online station automatically.

Utilization factor it doesn’t participate actively in the auto-scheduling calculations, the way that affects them is that @BOCTOK-1 sets a threshold on the calculated priority values based on the utilization factor that station has. This has as a result to reduce the number of the scheduled passes and in most cases this threshold leads to a low, in comparison with the set utilization factor, load.

I hope the above makes the process clearer and again I’m sorry for the confusion and the wrong information.

3 Likes

I just use a splitter - mini circuits zesc-2-11+ to share a 2m omni antenna with mast amp between satnogs and my ham radio work for receive only, with a separate uhf beam for uplink.