I work at the International Space University in Strasbourg, and amongst other things am responsible for our ground station here. One of the tasks I have been trying to implement recently is upgrading the software control of the GS to use GPredict for radio and rotator control.
Our set-up is:
- Rotator controllers: M2-RC2800px (El90/Azi360, North Stop)
- Radio: ICOM910h (set to splitmode)
- GPredict + Hamlib (latest version for Ubuntu)
(We have edited GPredict to not update the frequency from the dial, to stop the freq drift issue)
- We are trying to receive in UHF and transmit in UHF (same freq before doppler correction).
- We have the communications set up (I think ok) - it all checks out with Hamlib
I have been running into a number of problems though with this set-up
With GPredict/Hamlib and the ICOM910h
- The receive frequency will set and update with the doppler correction from gpredict
- The transmit frequency will not be set on the radio
- In hamlib, I have observed a error in setting F and I sequentially, eg I can set F (ok), set F (ok), set F (Ok), set I (get error), set I (Ok),… Although from what I understand this should not be a problem for U/U in split mode as we are not using the second band.
With GPredict/Hamlib and the M2-2800Px rotators:
- Generally the position can be set fine via hamlib or GPredict
- Every now and then (usually once or twice a pass) the Azi rotator gets sent to zero and back again. This seems to be not linked to a particular Azi… I have seem it at 135deg, 40 deg, etc… Our software and hard stops are 0/360 deg.
My default config is Sat32PC_ISS and Nova for Windows, which is clunky, but does not give any problems currently
Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated!