I’m on a team working to launch a 1U satellite sometime in the upcoming year. We’re planning on using SatNOGS for our communications, and we’re working on setting up our ground station in the upcoming months.
I’ve read through the wiki, and I can’t seem to complete my understanding on the communications process. Assuming our satellite is in the DB, here’s my understanding of the process:
- Schedule an observation through SatNOGS Network
- Satellite transmits data packets/frames down to ground station encoded in some way, over some protocol
- Ground Station receives data packets/frames. Somehow it knows the procotol & encoding the satellite is using, and therefore it can read the packet/frame.
- Decoder tells Ground Station how to interpret the raw data of the packet/frame.
- Ground Station uploads frame to SatNOGS DB, and the data fields (interpreted through the decoder) to the influxDB
- Data is available for use in SatNOGS DB or display in SatNOGS Dashboard.
Am I missing anything here? How does the ground station know the comms protocol/decoder to use?
Any help, guidance, or referral to sources is greatly appreciated!