In our attempt to find a better UHF omni-directional reference station setup, I have been testing (in parallel with work that is happening more thoroughly on the satnogs-kit repo) a setup with quality components.
The BOM can be found in this document.
The station seems to be quite deaf and with a higher noise floor compared to what is the comparable setup of station 21. The differences are the RPi (4 vs 3) and the LNA since we dont have access to the novakx LNA that was available on ebay before.
To see the difference you can check some examples of exact same passes here (the stations are 1km apart):
What I have tried on 977 so far:
- Play around with gains (higher or lower compared to 21)
- Tryout 3 different LNAs (all with and without bandpasses and with comparable gains to the one in 21)
- Plug the rtl-sdr while on the antenna, on my laptop and turn on/off the RPi4 (to check for noise) and do the same in all combinations with the LNA power (from RPi4 and from my computer). No difference observed other than 0.5db fluctuations.
- Replace the antenna with an eggbeater.
All the above have yield no results.
I also measured with the VNA the turnstile antenna directly (as mounted), and with the cable from the station box to it. The results are as follows:
At this point I am suspecting the cable itself (the outside one, since all the internals are brand new from mini-circuits) and will be making a new one and trying it out.
I am obviously missing something here, and would welcome any pointers/suggestions. This is the first time that a station has given me so much trouble .