Hamlib rotor interface not working

Yesterday I finally updated my station (488) to the latest software and re-entered the values I had previously used. Now there is no TCP/IP comms with the other PC with my homebrew rotor interface. Double checked the IP and port number and used the same Hamlib rotor model (-m 682) as before.

SatNOGS settings - hamlib not working

Any suggestions?
Ken

Since posting I re-read the Wiki and have entered "ROT_MODEL_GS232AROT_MODEL_GS232A instead of -m 602 in the “satnogs_rot_model” field, but still not working.

1 Like

You also need to set SATNOGS_ROT_PORT to something like: 127.0.0.1:12345 when using ROT_MODEL_NETROTCTL for remote controlled rotctld instances. On the remote side you need to specify the desired rotator model when firing up the rotctld.

1 Like

Still getting nowhere getting the rotor TCP interface to work after the update. Now trying the simple Easycomm interface. Here’s the current settings:
SatNOGS settings - trying EasycommII

and the journal after a pass:

It’s trying to open a serial port which I haven’t set. I’m using TCP/IP. Really puzzled.
Ken

Yeah, you‘re using wrong assumptions!
Set SATNOGS_ROT_MODEL to ROT_MODEL_NETROTCTL and on the remote end set the corresponding rotator model.

Still no success. Changed the rotor model:
SatNOGS settings for remote rotor

but still getting the error showing it’s trying to open a serial port. Nowhere do I have “/dev/ttyUSB0” entered.

Hehe, alright, you didn’t follow my suggestions completely: set the IP and Port in SATNOGS_ROT_PORT to 192.168.1.131:4355 and remove the SATNOGS_ROT_IP settings, as it is useless here.

Thanks again! Finally have the remote rotor working. For anyone else that may have a similar problem, here are my settings:
SatNOGS settings for remote rotor-corrected

2 Likes

This was definitely not documented well, and I hit exactly the same issue when I went to upgrade station #232.

I’ve made some updates to the wiki page with this information: https://wiki.satnogs.org/SatNOGS_Client_Setup#Advanced_Setup

3 Likes

The rotor was now working fine and today I’m getting errors regarding the port value. SatNOGS starts sending az/el info to the PC but then stops after a few messages. All the passes are failures.
I did an update and re-entered my data shown in the previous posts. So am really puzzled.


So…I’m, back in test mode.
After posting the above I found an error when I re-entered the receiver configuration. Entered rtlsdr instead of driver=rtlsdr. We’ll see if that makes any difference overnight.

What?
This can’t change on itself… This is (and probably always was) a wrong implementation of the _PORT setting, as it was always intended to specify the “serial” port where the rotator is connected to! Seems this has been misunderstood since ever! The hamlib docs (man rotctld) clearly states a file argument there - not int!

This needs to be fixed…

Based on the backtrace in your latest log output it’s clear that satnogs-client is installed in an outdated version (pre-version 1.1, compare satnogs-client@1.1:settings.py#L74 vs satnogs-client@1.0:settings.py#L70).
The current stable version of satnogs-client is 1.1.2 (source: [1]).

With satnogs-client 1.1 the meaning of SATNOGS_ROT_PORT was changed, thus a Configuration update for rotator stations with satnogs-client 1.1 is required.

Please update your station and keep your previous configuration from your post#7, this looks ok.

In case of further errors, please also post the output generated by Advanced->Support from satnogs-setup.

Sincerely,
kerel

2 Likes