Gpredict with FT817 and FT857

Hello. I am trying to get both my FT817 and FT857 running under gpredict using Lunix Mint. I can run one or the other, but not both. I can set up fldigi to run the 817 on USB0 or run the 857 on USB1, so I am sure it is some type of configuration problem. If anyone can give me the correct information or file to modify I will really appreciate it. Thanks and 73, James, AA5AO

Ok. Since this hobby is all about lifelong learning, I did some additional study and learned to assign an additional even numbered port to the FT857 and it works. Now to find which file to edit this new code into.

So I still need help. I found a rc.local file where the rigctld line is to be stored. I edited the file and had to learn about the sudo command to store it. Problem is it would not work and I accidently erased it. Now what?

James can you remember the name of the file you deleted?

It was RC.LOCAL. I think it was in /etc/ file but I’m not sure

OK.

Rather than paste it here as a message, here’s the first website that Google served that has the same content as my rc.local

Also, I’ve managed to get some help from the hamlib team on getting my FT-817 and FT-818 both working at the same time with hamlib and consequently Gpredict.

What isn’t written down anywhere that I’ve found is that both radios need to be on separate ports, which is pretty obvious. I’m using CAT-62 cables that terminate in USB connectors which dmesg shows as:

FTDI USB Serial Device converter now attached to ttyUSB0
FTDI USB Serial Device converter now attached to ttyUSB1

The Gpredict manual talks about testing with rigctl but the rigctl daemon rigctld is used for actual operation so I use the following lines to tell rigctld about the USB devices:

$ rigctld -m 120 -r /dev/ttyUSB0
$ rigctld -m 120 -r /dev/ttyUSB1 -t 4533

That -t 4533 is critical and simply assign port 4533 to /dev/ttyUSB1 as port 4532 is being used by USB0. Match those ports and radios up in Gpredict and it works… for me at least.

This is what I’m working with. I cannot get my rc.local file to work. Help?