Gpredict / Windows / Config Files

Hi, All,
I downloaded the Windows version of GPredict from SourceForge and unzipped it in Downloads\ on my Win11 machine. I tried it out and liked what I saw. I then moved the entire unzipped folder into a different folder (in my Documents), and maps and icons stopped working. I then found the Gpredict data folder in C:\Users<me>, and tried to modify the config file to point to Gpredict’s new location. That caused Gpredict to no longer run, and spit errors into the log about not being able to find the config file.

I tried to start over by deleting the Gpredict data and executable/DLL folders, and rebooting. I then unzipped Gpredict into the folder I’d like it to live in. When I run it, nothing happens, and the log fills with all the same errors. Gpredict must be storing some data somewhere on my machine, leading it to look for config files in the wrong places. I tried looking in the registry and could find nothing.

Another thought I had was to place a well-formatted config file into the data folder in C:\Users, but I was unable to google one up.

Any ideas on what to try next? Thanks in advance!!
-c

Default location is in %userprofile%\Gpredict
and yes, it is possible to make mistakes that will make it crash or hang.
Separating groups of satellites into different modules is a good idea. keep in mind that antenna and radio control is only running for one module at a time.

Under windows there’s also a separate cli executable:

Usage:
  gpredict-con.exe [OPTION]

Gpredict is a graphical real-time satellite tracking and orbit prediction program.
Gpredict does not require any command line options for nominal operation.

Help Options:
  -h, --help               Show help options
  --help-all               Show all help options
  --help-gtk               Show GTK+ Options

Application Options:
  --clean-tle              Clean the TLE data in user's configuration directory
  --clean-trsp             Clean the transponder data in user's configuration directory

If you want to start from scratch, just delete the entire directory.

1 Like

SA2KNG - Thank you for the reply!

I did try deleting the entire config folder and it gets auto-generated (and Gpredict keeps looking for files that don’t and shouldn’t exist).

I tried gpredict-con.exe --clean-tle with high hopes, but that comes back with

(gpredict-con.exe:7224): GLib-CRITICAL **: g_dir_read_name: assertion ‘dir != NULL’ failed

EDIT: the browser editor isn’t parsing what I’m typing as I intend. C:\Users<me> below is intended with a backslash between ‘Users’ and ‘<me>’.

C:\Users<me> gets auto-generated, with no config files in it, and one log file, which contains

2024/10/05 05:38:11|3|sat_log_init: Session started
2024/10/05 05:38:11|2|sat_cfg_load: Error reading config file (No such file or directory)
2024/10/05 05:38:11|2|sat_cfg_load: Using built-in defaults
2024/10/05 05:38:11|1|gpredict_file_copy: Failed to open file “C:\Users<me>\OneDrive\Documents\share\gpredict\data\sample.qth”: No such file or directory
2024/10/05 05:38:11|1|first_time_check_step_02: Failed to copy sample.qth
2024/10/05 05:38:11|1|gpredict_file_copy: Failed to open file “C:\Users<me>\OneDrive\Documents\share\gpredict\data\Amateur.mod”: No such file or directory
2024/10/05 05:38:11|1|first_time_check_step_03: Failed to copy Amateur.mod
2024/10/05 05:38:11|1|create_sat_files: Failed to load data from C:\Users<me>OneDrive\Documents\share\gpredict\data\satdata\satellites.dat (No such file or directory)
2024/10/05 05:38:11|1|create_cat_files: Could not open C:\Users<me>\OneDrive\Documents\share\gpredict\data\satdata (Error opening directory “C:\Users<me>\OneDrive\Documents\share\gpredict\data\satdata”: No such file or directory).
2024/10/05 05:38:11|1|User config check failed (code 36). This is fatal.
2024/10/05 05:38:11|1|A possible solution would be to remove the .config/Gpredict data dir in your home directory

Of course C:\Users<me>\OneDrive\Documents\share\gpredict shouldn’t exist; I believe it should be looking for C:\Users<me>\OneDrive\Documents\Gpredict.

As far as I was aware, I had at one point completely removed all trace of Gpredict from my computer in an attempt to fix this, so I’m really not sure where it’s getting that strange file path from…
Thanks!
-c

I haven’t been looking in the logs much, running gpredict 2.3.37 on win11 (and ubuntu, debian).
The paths looks like remnants of the linux install paths, with some windows paths prepended.
Like /usr/share/gpredict becomes `C:\Users\username\OneDrive\Documents\share\gpredict.
https://packages.ubuntu.com/noble/all/gpredict-doc/filelist

Does these show up every time it is started, with the config directory existing already ?

Good point, that does look linuxey, now that you mention it…

The errors show up every time Gpredict is started, but whether or not the config directory exists. That is, if C:\Users\username\Documents\Gpredict exists, the errors show up, and they also show up if I delete the folder. It’s as if there’s something somewhere else telling Gpredict to look in the nonexistent share folder.

Looking at the Linux gpredict file list is interesting. VERY different from Windows. My data folder has hwconf\ , logs\ , modules\ , satdata\cache\ and trsp\ folders, all of which are empty, except for the gpredict.log file I quoted in my last post…

hwconf contains rig/rot configurations.
modules contain all your satellite collections.
satdata contains all norad .sat files, after updating.
trsp contains all the transmitters, from satnogs, after updating.

update tle from network and transponder data.
bild

in the program dir you should have share, lib and doc. depending on how you configured a shortcut, you probably need to have it start in the program dir.

Yup, I see doc\ , lib\ , and share\ . gpredict.exe is right next to them. Double-clicking gpredict.exe or running gpredict-con.exe in a terminal yields nothing other than the generation of the C:\Users\username\Gpredict folder and the error log. The GUI never starts.

Oh - to be clear, this is with gpredict-win32-2.3.37 freshly unzipped. I have not made any changes in the program directory.

-c

Maybe there’s something with OneDrive that messes with it ?
Try putting it somewhere outside that, Downloads is not a too bad location (: as it is using a config directory and not just storing in the program dir.

1 Like

Yup, thanks for catching that! It seems to be a OneDrive issue. I moved the directory to Downloads and it worked. I then moved it to C:\ and it worked! That’s a good enough resolution for me…thank you!

But for future users, should this be entered into the bug tracker (at least for the Windows version)?

Thanks again!
-c