Geoscan-Edelveis mission

I guess a long TX period and this changes the internal temperature and has influence on the LO freq

I will give it a try, until now I haven’t been very successful

1 Like

I am unable to create a jpg image file from this observation.

This is what I tried:

Replay the recorded IQ file from this observation and decoded the reception with UZ7HO geoscan sound modem version 0.2.

This gave the following output file

Then used this file as input for the script made by jupitersaturn09

The output jpg isn’t recognized a image file and not visible.

I clearly miss something.

all three of my stations are quite stable and they shouldn’t show the same drift if it were local to each. the same can be seen on most stations including geoscan: SatNOGS Network - Observation 6781332
It looks like it always goes lower after starting the high rate tx, so Jan might be correct.
a ppm or a few perhaps.

Yes, that was my second version, it might be true. Thank you

Please try with this file. I found jpg header FF D8 and deleted every packet before packet with this header

geoscan-mon241122-0954.txt (98.6 KB)

I have now been spending a lot of time trying to decode images and haven’t been successful.

We have the following options:

Is there a location where we can find detailed information on frame structure and image recovery?

Any help would be appreciated

@PE0SAT Have you been able to decode image with file from Geoscan-Edelveis mission - #104 by geoscan? Please choose raw jpg when running python script

So all seems to be related on how to manipulate the received output.

python3 ../geoscan-tools/main.py 
Input file:geoscan-mon241122-0954.txt    
Output file:geoscan-mon241122-0954.jpg
Write raw JPEG (for corrupt/incomplete images, or for multiple files)?y
Characters to remove (16 raw soundmodem, 47 for GetKISS+):16
Single JPEG file only
Wrote raw JPEG!

This is the output:

2 Likes

Hurray! Awesome result. Should we start to transmit photos from space on schedule?:slight_smile:

@PE0SAT is there any questions about decoding images left? Apparently script doesn’t crop input file right and if there are some data before FF D8 it tries to parse it and fails.

Please schedule some images and we will try and decode them, if there are questions we know where to find you :slight_smile: @SA2KNG was wondering if it would be possible to use a kiss file for decoding purposes.

This would open up more solutions for decoding. gr_satellites and GetKiss+ can also write kiss files. Follow the link for an example in Index of /download/GEOSCAN

I had a look at the data and came up with this: GitHub - kng/geoscan-tools: Process frames from satellite Geoscan-Edelveis

It tries to capture all data to files, if it detects a proper start and FFD8 header it names it .jpg, otherwise .dat.
Supporting all the formats I have seen in this thread and autodetects how to parse them.

1 Like

I gave it a try with an earlier observation:

Created a sound modem log file and used the parser created by @SA2KNG
./process_frames.py geoscan-6514407.txt -o geoscan-6514407

This created geoscan-6514407_0.jpg and gives this picture.

2 Likes

And we found another one

2 Likes

My repo is updated with kiss file support and small bug, should produce even partial files with the content in the correct location and the rest padded with 0. so if the transmissions are repeated it might be possible to combine two or more files to one complete ?

1 Like

Readme updated in my repo.
Added some functionality to combine frames from different transmissions into one file, accumulating data so the images can become complete.

2 Likes

Thanks to the extensive work of @SA2KNG I was able to update my software. Thank you so much!!

As usual, the latest release is here: GitHub - radio-satellites/geoscan-tools: Some tools to process data from the GEOSCAN satellite.

I changed many things:

1. The processing is now handled by the deframer module
  2. PIL is not used for processing images, only to check whether or not they are valid.
  3. Now, the raw JPEG option is removed, since that is no longer needed.
  4. The biggest thing is that now “Characters to remove” is now literally either 0 for soundmodem or 39 for GetKISS+.
  5. Now, when entering file names, use only the name, not the extension.

A future thing that is planned is to combine files that are similar, hence creating an error free file.

Enjoy!

4 Likes

Hi. When is the next transmission of geoscan? What does it transmit? I assume images?

2 Likes

Hi!

Yes, it does transmit images. The GEOSCAN team should release the transmission schedule soon. In the meantime, you can try to figure the software out. Here are your choices (thx PE0SAT):

3 Likes

Photo from a Geoscan flyby a while ago .
r_0

2 Likes