Fatal errors when executing satnogs-setup

I am trying to set up a new SatNogs ground station (btw, in a much better location that my previous setup) and I am experiencing problems with the ‘satnogs-setup’ ansible. I flashed a micro-SD card with the ISO image extracted from the latest ‘artifacts.zip’ file (Release: 2023111400).

When I run satnogs-setup, I get the following errors:

Starting Ansible Pull at 2023-11-14 22:22:03
/usr/bin/ansible-pull -d /root/.satnogs/ansible -U librespacefoundation / SatNOGS / satnogs-ansible · GitLab -C stable -t satnogs-setup
[WARNING]: Could not match supplied host pattern, ignoring: raspberrypi
localhost | FAILED! => {
“changed”: false,
“cmd”: “/usr/bin/git ls-remote librespacefoundation / SatNOGS / satnogs-ansible · GitLab -h refs/heads/stable”,
“msg”: “fatal: unable to access ‘librespacefoundation / SatNOGS / satnogs-ansible · GitLab’: server certificate verification failed. CAfile: none CRLfile: none”,
“rc”: 128,
“stderr”: “fatal: unable to access ‘librespacefoundation / SatNOGS / satnogs-ansible · GitLab’: server certificate verification failed. CAfile: none CRLfile: none\n”,
“stderr_lines”: [
“fatal: unable to access ‘librespacefoundation / SatNOGS / satnogs-ansible · GitLab’: server certificate verification failed. CAfile: none CRLfile: none”
],
“stdout”: “”,
“stdout_lines”:
}
Press enter to continue…

I learnt that for the certificate issue a command can be appended to ignore certificate checking and also learnt that the git URL is no longer valid. Is there a way to solve this? A new ‘script’ (sorry, not a linux person here) with the right and updated instructions? I have spent long hours reading and searching for solutions before posting this but no success so far. Most discussions I found are ‘update’ related but I am on a previous stage. So, I am finally asking here. Thanks very much in advance!

Could you please try to run sudo update-ca-certificates and then retry?

2 Likes

Thanks so much for your help!
I am very sorry to report that after updating the certificates (no certificates were updated, se below) I get the same string of errors!

pi@raspberrypi:~ $ sudo update-ca-certificates
Updating certificates in /etc/ssl/certs…
0 added, 0 removed; done.
Running hooks in /etc/ca-certificates/update.d…
done.
pi@raspberrypi:~ $ sudo satnogs-setup
Starting Ansible Pull at 2023-11-14 21:48:34
/usr/bin/ansible-pull -d /root/.satnogs/ansible -U librespacefoundation / SatNOGS / satnogs-ansible · GitLab -C stable -t satnogs-setup
[WARNING]: Could not match supplied host pattern, ignoring: raspberrypi
localhost | FAILED! => {
“changed”: false,
“cmd”: “/usr/bin/git ls-remote librespacefoundation / SatNOGS / satnogs-ansible · GitLab -h refs/heads/stable”,
“msg”: “fatal: unable to access ‘librespacefoundation / SatNOGS / satnogs-ansible · GitLab’: server certificate verification failed. CAfile: none CRLfile: none”,
“rc”: 128,
“stderr”: “fatal: unable to access ‘librespacefoundation / SatNOGS / satnogs-ansible · GitLab’: server certificate verification failed. CAfile: none CRLfile: none\n”,
“stderr_lines”: [
“fatal: unable to access ‘librespacefoundation / SatNOGS / satnogs-ansible · GitLab’: server certificate verification failed. CAfile: none CRLfile: none”
],
“stdout”: “”,
“stdout_lines”:
}
Press enter to continue…

please disregard my previous post, I realized that the clock was not updated!
Once updated with chrony satnogs-setup was installed! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Just to be clear and to close this help thread, also in case someone experiences the same problem. The root cause was my RaspberryPi/local Network (I suspect the problem is in my network router) not being able to properly set date and time from the NTP servers. The solution was to install and enable the Chrony NTP Client.

This is what I did:

$ sudo apt install chrony

and then I enabled the Chrony daemon service to start at boot automatically

$ sudo systemctl enable chrony

$ sudo systemctl start chrony

The Chrony status -to ensure everything is working fine- can be checked with the command

$ systemctl status chrony

After doing this the SatNOGS Client Setup program works flawlessly!

4 Likes

To make it easier to debug this error satnogs-setup could check for active time synchronization before running ansible-pull.

I’ve posted satnogs-ansible#121 (comment) to track this potential future improvement.

1 Like