Data analysis from SatNOGS network

Hi @crespum – good to meet you again. :smile: This is a really interesting idea.

There has been discussion and work for a while on converting the observation data held in the SatNOGS database into telemetry. This depends not only on the quality of the individual observations, of course, but also on having a way to decode the data. My understanding is that right now, there are a small handful of satellites (~ 4 I think) for which there are decoders. The work is being described in a couple of threads:

Two of the dashboards that @DL4PD created for the Elfin satellites are at:

To quote @cshields’s post:

If a satellite has a struct (or multiple structs even) associated with it, they will appear on the satellite’s page. You can see an example of this here .

So much for initial display of the data…

What I understand of the current process for converting observations to telemetry:

• creating a Kaitai struct for the satellite you want to work on; this depends on knowing how the satellite builders have opted to encode telemetry, which isn’t always published
  • getting observtions from the SatNOGS database
  • converting those observations to telemetry data using Kaitai (I think, from seeing some conversations in IRC/Matrix, that there are Python scripts people have been using to do that part, but I’m not sure if those have made it to any of the repos…maybe @kerel / @DL4PD / @cshields can shed some light?)

And as for displaying the data – the next steps are to put those data into InfluxDB, which is used as a data source by Grafana. It may be that access could be opened up to the data in InfluxDB itself, but I don’t know if that has been considered, or if the work on Grafana/InfluxDB is far enough along to do that just yet.

As an initial step, you may want to consider using the existing decoders for the Elfin or the CAS-4A satellites; this would help get the pipeline down. I’d be happy to help with that…I’ve been wanting to play around with the telemetry data for a while now. Do you have a repo set up for this project?

1 Like