I am really enjoying the satnogs network after getting the nudge at their Dayton booth, have had some success with omni antenna (moxon turnstle), rtl-sdr (lna is on order) and a ubuntu notebook.
Also at Dayton, I found in Meldelsons surplus a camera az/el platform with one missing stepper, really cool sliprings (az could go around forever it it were not for the antenna cable) and have it working with gpredict and satnogs client now, pointing, still have to make a yagi and again waiting on the lna4all. It won’t handle a really heavy load or live out in the rain.
Anyway, had one bizarre issue with the rotator - using a custom version of the arduino stepper code for the v3 rotator controller (removed the homing, temp sensor, i2c etc) - which basically works. I can connect to serial port and type “
AZ10 EL10<ctrl-J>” and it goes there, all over the hemisphere OK.
Then I can start rotctld with: rotctld -m 202 -r /dev/ttyUSB0 -s 19200 -T 127.0.0.1
and connect to port 4533 with netcat (nc -v 0 4533) and type “P 10 10” and again moves all over OK.
The weird part is gpredict / satnogsclient - no tracking. Put a debug print in the Arduino and somehow it is getting a ‘!’ prefix, like: !AZ197.6 EL44.3 UP000 XXX DN000 XXX
I even used tcpdump on the loopback and looked at the traffic with wireshark and can see the commands from satnogs clent are good, like: P 156.104000801 32.942941518
SO I cannot figure out where the spurious ‘!’ comes from - as a workaround I just put in the arduino a delete function and: if (buffer == ‘!’) delete_char(Data,0);
and gpredict and satnogsclient are working just fine with actual passovers now - weird.