Creating waterfall images from satnogs generated .dat file?

Hi all,

Short question: are there any scripts out there to take waterfall .dat file generated by the satnogs_*.py decoder scripts and create a waterfall image like displayed on the SatNOGS Network for a particular observation?

Longer reason why:

As an example, I am manually running

/usr/bin/python3 /usr/bin/satnogs_fsk.py --soapy-rx-device=driver=rtlsdr --samp-rate-rx=2.048e6 --rx-freq=400500000 --file-path=./receiving_satnogs.out --waterfall-file-path=./receiving_waterfall_.ogg --decoded-data-file-path ./ --gain-mode=‘Settings Field’ --gain=42.0 --antenna=RX --other-settings=IF1=6,IF2=3,IF2=2,IF3=0,IF4=0,IF5=2,IF6=3,TUNER=42.0 --baudrate=3 8400 --framing=ax25

then Cntrl-C out of it when the satellite goes below the horizon. So I’m looking to take the resulting waterfall.dat file and view the waterfall as a png or jpg (not to upload to SatNOGS network). I realize the doppler shift will be off without rigctl adjusting the frequency

Why do I want to do this? Sometimes I want to record the waterfall of an observation that I cannot schedule in satnogs or maybe my station when offline for a few seconds and missed the start of a scheduled pass that is still visible for the next 10-15 minutes, this way I can at least manually run the decoder and capture raw data with the hopes of displaying the waterfall portion of the artifact.

I’ve searched around and didn’t come up with anything. Thanks for any insight you can offer (even if it’s ‘you can’t do that’ :slight_smile: )

1 Like

This is what SatNOGS Client do for plotting the waterfall from the .dat file:

1 Like

Perfect, thanks you for this!

Cheers

1 Like