Configuring gpredict for use with YAESU FT-847

This topic should give an overview to gpredict users, running a YAESU FT-847 radio, on how to setup things: the radio, rigctld and gpredict as well.

What do we need:

• first of all, of course: the radio
  • a PC running gpredict (at the moment: only the master branch of gpredict’s git will work)
  • a connection between the PC running gpredict and the radio (here: RS232-USB interface)

As an USB to RS232 interface I bought the converter from “TechnoFix UK”, which can be obtained from e.g. ebay et al. There might be a problem with your braille kernel driver, so you have to disable this from loading at system start (to get /dev/ttyUSB?).
Remember to add the user running rigtcl[d] to the dialout group.
My PC is running an actual debian with KDE as desktop environment and hamlib is the version delivered as distri package (currently Hamlib 1.2.15.3), because I have been too lazy to compile it by myself.
Another issue I found while testing the threaded version of my gpredict build: transponder modes, such as FM, LSB, USB etc. have to be set manual on the radio (this is a known issue).

Setting up the radio:
FT-847 Menu 37 “CAT RATE” -> 57600

Starting rigctld:
/usr/bin/rigctld -m 101 -r /dev/ttyUSB0 -t 4532 -s 57600 --set-conf=stop_bits=2,serial_handshake=None

Setting up gpredict:
Edit -> Preferences -> Interfaces -> Add New
Name: YAESUFT-847
Host: 127.0.0.1
Port: 4532
Radio Type: Duplex TRX
PTT status: Read PTT
VFO Up/Down: SUB /\ / MAIN /
LO Down:
LO Up:
Signalling: [ ] AOS [ ] LOS

in Radiocontrol widget:
Settings:

1. Device: YAESUFT-847
  2. Device: None
    Cycle: 2500

Note on Cycle:
You have to chose a value bigger than the communication via RS232 to the radio takes! This is approximately 300 ms per command, existing of the command itself and the answer, containing the result. With a full-duplex radio there are 7 (!) commands executed:

1. [t] get PTT status
  2. [f] get current VFOA frq
  3. [F {…}] set new VFOA frq
  4. [f] check if new VFOA frq is set
  5. [i] get current SUB frq
  6. [I {…}] set new SUB frq
  7. [i] check if new SUB frq is set.

This results in a cycle-time of approx 2100 ms - add some time to ensure all commands are transmitted. The idea to enclose the whole communication into separate threads came up, because socket communication is always blocking. This also comes up with rotctld! Blocking calls within these widget will block the whole GUI, so the idea came up to separate these blocking calls into threads - one per control widget each. I am currently working on this, but if you would like to beta-test, please feel free to take a look at:

https://github.com/DL4PD/gpredict/tree/multithread-ctrl

TODO: add some screenshots

1 Like

Hi Patrick,

Thanks for putting your notes here. I’m glad that interfacing with this radio will finally be resolved in the next version, whenever that will be. I will take a look at your updated branch as soon as I can, I’ve just been very busy lately.

2 Likes

No problem at all, Alex!
I’ve been hunting some bugs (most caused by side effects of thread synchronisation - really hard to find) the last days. I think I will do a pull request when I’m back from work on friday morning (if my debugging session looks good ;).

While debugging, I’ve been thinking about a “display” for the linear transponders. Maybe I can get a little piece of code to show what I think will be good. Or maybe some simple drawings. But that is off-topic in here :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hallo Patrick !

I am new here and on Gpredict also.
Have: raspi-buster, Gpredict, momemade CAT cable (it works fine), FT-847, yagi
after sucsessfully setup the rigctld (was not that easy) I have the following problem:
The doppler shift is corrected by Gpredict on main- and sub-VFO.
unfortunately is the frequ. not so transeive as it should be, especially in SSB.
when I turn the SUB-TUNE knob to correct, it is in the next moment overruled by Gpredict.
Same issue with the CLAR knob.
Does anybody have an idea how to cope with this issue ??
Is there a possibility to shift the VFO-frequ. permanently a little bit ( 1-3kHz) ??
Mit anderen (deutschen) Worten: wie könnte ich die minimale Frequenzshift am VFO dauerhaft ausgleichen ?
Thanks for answer, 73, Karl OE3JAG

If I get you correct: simply shift the frequency on the Radio Dialog 1…3kHz up (or down), using the arrows.

You cannot set a static offset, as this may be transponder (satellite, space segment) related shifts.

Here is a new topic in an old conversation…
is your email on qrz.com ??? may I write you direct ??

Yes, feel free to DM me or contact me by mail.

Perhaps should report my findings here as well.
I have been using the ft847 for a couple of years now, not happy with the slow doppler corrections.
Have been experimenting with this earlier but really needed it now, so tested lowering the write delay down from 50 to 1ms and post write delay from 50ms to 10ms. I fired up gpredict and was able to run correction in the 200-300ms range with no hiccups at all. radio running 57k6 through a microham usb iii.
modded hamlib 4.3.1 on debian testing.

1 Like

Good evening.
when i run the rigctld command and engage radio in gpredict, frequency control/dopler is working but when i want to Transmit phone i get “DATA” in the FT847 display and audio is then taken from data/packed instead of the Microphone:

Do you know how i can fix this?
Radio is FT847, Interface is Microham usb interface III and running linux mint 20 and latest grepdict.

Thanks
Regin, OY1R

on hamlib 4.3 I use rigctld -m 1001 -s 57600 -r /dev/ttyUSB0 -t 4532 -P RTS -D NONE --set-conf=stop_bits=2,serial_handshake=None,dtr_state=OFF and it goes through microham usb iii.
The PTT command has a variable to tell which source to use, you will need to get the program you use to set the correct one; like T 1

T, set_ptt 'PTT'
PTT is a value: ’0’ (RX), ’1’ (TX), ’2’ (TX mic), or ’3’ (TX data).
1 Like

SA2KNG
Your startup definition worked great
With the previous startup command both CW and PTT on the interface turned on. so i suspected the maybe RTS or DTR pins high could be the problem.

Thank you very much.

See you on the birds

Regin, OY1R

1 Like

i am jj i need a lot of help i can not see / blind can you help me please

Continuing the discussion from Configuring gpredict for use with YAESU FT-847:

Hi JJ did you get help with this ?? And what stage are you at in your setup.

Karl.

Hi all,

I’ve configured my FT-847 with SCU-17 and Gpredict and everything appears to be OK. But I have a little question about TX frequency: FT-847 can show a 1 Hz resolution in TX mode but Gpredict only modifies freq from 10 Hz.
For example: if Gpredict shows TX 145.875.816 Hz the frequency showed by FT-847 is 145.875.810 Hz (the last digit always is 0).

Can this behaviour be changed in Gpredict or maybe rigctld or any FT-847 menu option?

Thanks.

The 10Hz resolution is a limitation in the CAT protocol in the 847.

I didn’t know about it.

Thank you very much. Regards.