Can you use 2x RTL-SDRs with Satnogs?

Hello all!

We have just finished building our ground station and wanted to reach out for some extra help

Our current antenna setup includes 1 VHF and 1 UHF Yagi. There are 2 feed lines, one for each antenna. I was wondering if Satnogs supports using 2 RTL SDRs, one for each antenna in order to decode VHF and UHF downlinks.

Thanks!

I do it with 2 separate Raspberry Pis, makes life simpler. Stations 568 and 724. LNAs at the mastheads. QFH antennas.

Since you are using yagis that are presumably on a common rotator (?) then I would suggest using a diplexer to connect the two yagis into one RTLSDR.
If you have LNAs at the antennas, then you may need separate bias-tees to power them, as the RTLSDR will not be able to provide a bias voltage via a diplexer.

2 Likes

I guess this is the station ?

Depends on what you mean (:
Running two stations on one host is possible, both with the systemd/ansible and under docker.
Using two SDR on one station client does not, I recommend using coax relays or a diplexer as vk5qi said.
As this is a common rotator, I’d say running it on one station, single SDR.
Driving a relay is not too hard, I have used the RPi gpio but now mostly use the usb mcp2221 and a script that is executed in the pre-/post script that runs on each observation.
Diplexer would be the simplest solution thou.

1 Like

And this is my solution for running multiple stations and SDR receivers on single hardware Using a second SDR | Amateur Radio – PEØSAT

And it all comes down to what you want to achieve

3 Likes

Thank you for all your responses everyone! The PE0SAT approach seems the best for our situation, and will try it out once we finish testing our station.

1 Like