Best way to install latest hamlib

Hi all,

I would need to replace the hamlib packages that comes with Debian 10 (version 3.3) with the latest ones (4.2) since 3.3 does not support properly the Prosistel rotor that we just installed. I compiled 4.2 and it seems OK. I can control the rotor using rotctl, but I’m not sure what is the best way to overwrite the 3.3 that comes with Debian.
If I do an apt autoremove libhamlib2, it will remove all this:

libhamlib-utils* libhamlib2* liblimesuite18.06-1* liblimesuite20.01-1* librtaudio6* limesuite-udev* python3-libhamlib2* soapyosmo-common0.6* soapyosmo-common0.7* soapysdr0.6-module-all*
soapysdr0.6-module-audio* soapysdr0.6-module-lms7* soapysdr0.6-module-osmosdr* soapysdr0.7-module-all* soapysdr0.7-module-audio* soapysdr0.7-module-lms7* soapysdr0.7-module-osmosdr*

so, there are a number of packages that depends on hamlib. I am not sure they will work properly with the new version and I am not sure they will install properly afterward if they do not find the hamlib 3.3.
Or should I simply “make install” the new one? I may also keep both the old and the new one, and just replace the rotctl and rotctld commands, but it seems not that clean!

Tnx!
Alberto

1 Like