Back to SatNOGS from TinyGS: Looking for "Best 10" beginner satellites to target!

Hi everyone, I’m JP7DVX (Station ID: 4950).

When I first started, I took a “spray and pray” (shotgun) approach, but I could barely decode anything and ended up getting frustrated and trying TinyGS instead.

While it was fun watching packets stack up easily on TinyGS, I got a bit bored after a few weeks. So, I dusted off my RTL-SDR dongle and came back to SatNOGS! This time, I’m changing my strategy—instead of random reception, I want to focus on specific, easy-to-decode satellites and actually get some solid decodes.

So, I’d love to start a thread: What are your top recommended satellites for beginners to get that first sweet taste of success (maybe a “Best 10” list)?

What were your first “win” satellites when you were starting out? Would love to hear your recommendations!

73, JP7DVX

1 Like

my recomended:

io86, iss, meteor m2-3, meteor m2-4, asrtu, umka-1, phasma-dirac, phasma-lamarr

3 Likes

Given the UHF antenna, I would focus on ISS first. The transmitter at 437.800 has good audio from radio amateurs in range of the satellite which you can listen back on your observation.

2 Likes

Hello Yukio JP7DVX,

As a SatNOGS operator living in Japan, I receive the following satellites. (This is an excerpt from the management spreadsheet list used for the satnogs-auto-scheduler.)
I hope this is helpful.
For some satellites, it may be necessary to enable “gr-satellite.”

NORAD ID Satellite Name Priority Transmitter Name UUID SatNOGS DB link Auto Scheduler Format
68795 OrigamiSat-2 1.00 Mode U - AFSK1k2 TLM HGDA4HLjfNAAzxAFeq3yzk SatNOGS DB - OrigamiSat-2 68795 1.00 HGDA4HLjfNAAzxAFeq3yzk
98323 MAGNARO-II Piscis 1.00 Mode U - AFSK1k2 EtfqdX3xgrv9PEDJqmC2v4 SatNOGS DB - MAGNARO-II - Tigris 98323 1.00 EtfqdX3xgrv9PEDJqmC2v4
98329 ARICA-2 1.00 Mode U - GMSK4k8 - AX.25 hTkJ3oYhNwwkUuCG4UrwwG SatNOGS DB - ARICA-2 98329 1.00 hTkJ3oYhNwwkUuCG4UrwwG
57172 UmKA-1 0.85 Mode U - GMSK 9k6 (USP) TLM eRAUq7Whot3A5nN3kNvwTr SatNOGS DB - UmKA-1 57172 0.85 eRAUq7Whot3A5nN3kNvwTr
98293 Marina 0.80 Mode U/U - GFSK9k6 AX.25 G3RUH iVmBGoXp6CrEpZuzUUgYUh SatNOGS DB - Marina 98293 0.80 iVmBGoXp6CrEpZuzUUgYUh
68460 COSMO 0.75 SpaceQuest TRX-U M2yrFrPhfupHrU25dahRQf SatNOGS DB - COSMO 68460 0.75 M2yrFrPhfupHrU25dahRQf
68506 AEPEX 0.75 Mode U - GFSK9k6 - AX.25 G3RUH jybvWJ3aXS2hrijWRAbkRS SatNOGS DB - AEPEX 68506 0.75 jybvWJ3aXS2hrijWRAbkRS
98338 CANVAS 0.75 AstroDev Li-2 GCmN6RULea8dAT7Qoat8z2 SatNOGS DB - CANVAS 98338 0.75 GCmN6RULea8dAT7Qoat8z2
61781 ASRTU-1 0.70 Mode V/U - FM Transceiver f7MZKobjSKakAWQsEoLmkq SatNOGS DB - ASRTU-1 61781 0.70 f7MZKobjSKakAWQsEoLmkq
62391 LASARsat 0.70 Mode U - GFSK9k6 - AX.25 G3RUH C3RnLSSuaKzWhHrtJCqUgu SatNOGS DB - LASARsat 62391 0.70 C3RnLSSuaKzWhHrtJCqUgu

Best regards,
Kazuki NISHIOKA, JF6FYI

2 Likes

Hi bali, pe2bz, and Kazuki (nishikazu0417)!

Thank you all so much for the amazing recommendations and the real-world lists! Kazuki, special thanks for sharing your auto-scheduler spreadsheet—that is super helpful for an operator in Japan!

I’ve already confirmed that my indoor antenna has its strict limits. Now I need to figure out how to protect an outdoor antenna from heavy snow here, or… maybe my station will just go into “hibernation” during the harsh winter months!

Thanks again for the warm welcome back. I’m excited to start targeting these and get some solid decodes!

73, JP7DVX