ARICA-2’s ‘Digipeater’ is now also on
Thanks for all the updates and congrats on your success w/ the uplink!
First pass over the Eastern U.S. w/ enough elevation to attempt (max. 57°) but no indication that I was heard. Only CW on the downlink. Will keep trying!
Could you clarify this part please - I keep getting confused and am worried I am going to run the wrong IDs.
At the moment, gr_satellites needs the 68796 ID otherwise it fails with “98329 not found”, and it is being invoked with 68796 by satnogs (it’s in the logs and the TLE). I haven’t decoded anything that would have triggered a submission, but in the case where this has happened with other ones (geoscan and few other), the observation was there (even in the telemetry spreadsheet) even though I had to unify gr_satellites with what satnogs was feeding it. For example I am making a decoder for TEVEL2- and my observations are there.
I mean I can do some trickery to make an ‘alias’ so that there are 2 satyamls or run a post-script that resolves dual ids, it’s just really prohibitive for plug and play operation. Hopefully you can explain it so I can script up something to help others with it (absolute latest commits of both installed). Presuming it’s because they’re older than ARICA, but how do we know?
Also I got automatic CW working and made a script to submit to your page, wait till I decode my own packet and I shall submit/share ![]()
Cheers mate
Oh, I see your issue…
As for running GNU Radio w/ a satyml file, you need to use whatever ID is in the satyml file.
If you are uploading to SatNogs, you need to use the primary ID # in SatNogs, which at the moment is 98329.

Hope that helps!
Thanks for clearing up which one is the primary ID. I still don’t get why satnogs is invoking gr_satellites with the 68796 ID from the TLE that I assume is coming from the job scheduling system. I am using the latest docker image on x86 ubuntu (then updated to latest commits) with a post-script as per Bali’s guide. The only thing I can think of would be that there have been some changes and gr_satellites doesn’t need the post-script to be called anymore, and the log entry I am seeing is just there because it was the last thing to touch the log file. I am pretty sure this is not the case however from looking at htop while a pass is in progress. I also had no packets getting decoded until I adjusted a few of the TLEs.
Could you share details?
Cheers
Daniel
Two quick comments that may clear some confusion:
Current SatNOGS Client feeds the gr-satellites by getting the NORAD ID from the TLE that is used, in this case the TLE is the one of 68796. (This may change in one of the next releases of client, but this is another discussion)
The data sent from Client to Network are saved in Network and forwarded to DB with the temporary NORAD ID 98329.
That’s the one chain.
If someone push directly to DB data, then it’s better to use 98329 until the identification is passed in DB. However if 68796 is chosen, the data are not lost but kept in a separate entry that will be merged when the identification is completed, the only problem with that is that the data are not decoded and not show up in the dashboard (which both will be done when the satellite entries are merged after identification).
Identification process may take some more time as I’m currently the bottleneck and I have no time to check it, I’m sorry about that but other prioritized tasks are in the middle.
In future plans it is to allow more people review and perform the identifications, merging etc, avoiding me being the bottleneck of this process.
It heard me!
… huge thanks to Bob for catching the confirmation; was too low here for me to get enough downlink SNR to decode a single frame.
Twitter/x post w/ more pictures:
https://x.com/scott23192/status/2105420481243595141
(It heard Bob also… reply packets were SEEN here, but not decoded. Sorry I couldn’t return the favor, but will do better w/ more elevation)
When a downlink packet from the satellite is received by a station running the message app, do only successful mailbox confirmations show up on the dashboard?
Or, should ‘Parrot’ digipeater confirmations show up there as well?
Or is my entire premise wrong and the dashboard is being populated from standard SatNogs database uploads?
Thanks!
Disregard my last question!!
Bob got his decodes from today uploaded & now we both show up on the dashboard. That’s so cool - thanks Bob!!
Is this actually coming from the software associated with the satellite or the kaitai decoder?
Sorry, there are a lot of posts. What “this” are you referring to?
Thanks!
The telemetry used in the UHF dashboard
The decoded downlink messages shown were received by the stations in the far right column. The data got to SatNogs from the same methods that all of the data in SatNogs does… from a SatNogs network member station or from a SIDS upload from things like GNU Radio or custom code.
If I’ve mis-stated anything, I’m sure that someone will be good enough to correct me. Thanks in advance!
The data on ARICA-2’s telemetry dashboard come from manual uploads via my CW upload form.
The data on ARICA-2’s two rows in the digipeater dashboard come from uploads either from observations from SatNOGS network stations or from individual (SiDS) uploads.
The above introduced message box tools don’t upload itself.
You can distinguish both sources by hovering the mouse pointer over a observer(s) link.
If (at least) one station is a network station, then there will be a link to the corresponding network observation(s) within +/- 10 minutes.
If it’s from an individual upload, it just shows about:blank.
Maybe not what the Messaging System was intended to be used for, but Bob (N6RFM) and I just completed a 2-way exchange!
Have to confess that I’m pretty tickled with pulling that off thanks to the long reach of Bob’s station!
Well, if I liked the outstanding work that was done on the dashboard for ARICA-2 before, now that Bob’s decodes have been uploaded, I REALLY like the dashboard!
Hello @taylorwass ,
I noticed that you have scheduled about 200 observations of ARICA-2 in CW 20 mode.
Since ARICA-2 is currently in its Message Exchange mission period, I thought that scheduling observations in GMSK 4800 bps mode might help reduce the chance of missing exchanged messages.
Could you let me know what the intention was behind scheduling these observations in CW 20 mode?
Best regards,
Kazuki NISHIOKA, JF6FYI
Don’t hesitate to report that as a distance record!
Hello,
Sorry, I was working on a way to get better CW telemetry using image analysis with sequence pileup and needed overlapping observations. Will post about it tomorrow and remove some of the ones I booked now. I am also interested in the messages/image reception currently now that I am done.








