Ansible update problem

I’ve just updated ansible and the kernal using satnogs-setup procedure. However when verifying the installation with systemctl status satnogs-client I receive the following output below.
I would welcome comment/advice on what could have gone wrong, please?

:~$ systemctl status satnogs-client
● satnogs-client.service - SatNOGS client
Loaded: loaded (/etc/systemd/system/satnogs-client.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)
Active: active (running) since Mon 2022-05-16 15:55:41 UTC; 1min 33s ago
Main PID: 376 (satnogs-client)
Tasks: 4 (limit: 4915)
CGroup: /system.slice/satnogs-client.service
└─376 /var/lib/satnogs/bin/python3 /var/lib/satnogs/bin/satnogs-client

May 16 15:55:47 satnogs satnogs-client[376]: File “/var/lib/satnogs/lib/python3.7/site-packages/requests/adapters.py”, line 516, in send
May 16 15:55:47 satnogs satnogs-client[376]: raise ConnectionError(e, request=request)
May 16 15:55:47 satnogs satnogs-client[376]: requests.exceptions.ConnectionError: HTTPSConnectionPool(host=‘network.satnogs.org’, port=443): Max retries exceeded with url: /api/jobs/?ground_station=2122&lat=53.06
May 16 15:55:47 satnogs satnogs-client[376]: apscheduler.executors.default - ERROR - Job “get_jobs (trigger: interval[0:01:00], next run at: 2022-05-16 15:56:47 UTC)” raised an exception
May 16 15:55:47 satnogs satnogs-client[376]: Traceback (most recent call last):
May 16 15:55:47 satnogs satnogs-client[376]: File “/var/lib/satnogs/lib/python3.7/site-packages/apscheduler/executors/base.py”, line 125, in run_job
May 16 15:55:47 satnogs satnogs-client[376]: retval = job.func(*job.args, **job.kwargs)
May 16 15:55:47 satnogs satnogs-client[376]: File “/var/lib/satnogs/lib/python3.7/site-packages/satnogsclient/scheduler/tasks.py”, line 177, in get_jobs
May 16 15:55:47 satnogs satnogs-client[376]: response.raise_for_status()
May 16 15:55:47 satnogs satnogs-client[376]: UnboundLocalError: local variable ‘response’ referenced before assignment
lines 1-18/18 (END)

It looks like there is a ConnectionError and it says a couple lines later it was trying to connect to the satnogs server to get the jobs for your ground station. I think the errors after that are just due to the network failing. This could just be intermittant. Just a guess here, $0.02.

Thanks again @jebba - Tried it again this morning but with the same result/output.
My own network checks out all OK. I’m wondering if its some glitch in the newly updated ansible software and kernel? Or a temporary problem with the SatNOGS server?
Perhaps others would care to comment?

The last days and the next ones there is maintenance work in progress on the server, maybe this is what causes the error.

Some question to troubleshooting this:

1. Is the station functional? I mean do you schedule observations and get back results in Network?
  2. Given that by default client asks the server every two minutes for new jobs, when you run the command sudo journalctl -f -u satnogs-client.service, do you see this error every two minutes or it happens from time to time?
1 Like

Thanks @fredy - that’s a relief - hopefully.

1. Yes, I can schedule observations both singularly and using auto scheduler.
  2. The command does not query the server every two minutes - only once upon initiating the command.
    Its interesting to note that using auto scheduler yesterday after the update the log of passes omitted both the mode and the satellite name. But this afternoon it includes everything.
    Would it help for you to have a copy of my log?

If the problem continues please do!