Acquisition of specific data for a subsystem for one or more satellites

I would like to know if it is possible to download specific data for a subsystem of a satellite or a group of satellites, such as all the data related to the solar panels. Thank you

Hi @jade and welcome in the community!

Unfortunately there isn’t a way to download data for a specific subsystem.

What you need to do is to download the data from the satellites you want and locally decode them and get the data you are interested in.

1 Like

Dear@fredy

Thank you for your reply and your warm welcome.

I am looking for a way to download data from multiple satellites with a Python script and only store some of it.

I have been doing some research, and I have found that there are a few Python libraries that can be used to download satellite data. These libraries include SentinelHub, landsatxplore, pyModis, SatPy, and nasadap.

I am still not sure which library is the best fit for my needs, but I am hoping that you can help me to decide.

Do you have any experience with downloading satellite data with Python? If so, I would be grateful for your advice.

Thank you for your time.

Sincerely,

Dear @jade,

I am new to satnogs. And currently trying to learn everything and how I can contribute. Did you find out how to download satellite data with Python? Also I wanted to decode satellite data, but as there is no demodulated and decrypted data available for the satellite I am looking at, I could not do this Adding a new data decoder - SatNOGS Wiki according to this guideline. Could you please help me where to start from?

Best Regards

Dear@ shabs
In order to practice decoding telemetry, I took an open-source satellite along with the available decoding documentation (see, https://db.satnogs.org/). Then, I wrote a Python code that opens the file and processes the provided data. Some radio satellites provide software to decode the telemetry, which will allow you to test your code.
Best regards.

Dear @jade

Thank you very much for your response! I have never done this kind of exercise, so while I vaguely understood what you meant, I would still need some help regarding the steps to do this. Would that be okay if I ask steps when I struggle, as this is really interesting to me to decode satellite telemetry, but currently I am at a beginner level I would say. I have been looking to the active satellites but, I cannot find any data and the documentation of decoding. So the first step would be to find a satellite with available data tp decode, is this right? If yes, where does the satellite data exist, as I select random ones from the list of active satellites, and I see only brief info about the satellite. When I click on the data tab on the top right, for the satellites that have already decoded data, I see some graphs related to frames, for the others, just some info.

Best Regards

Dear@shabs,

Let start by fonding a sat for exemple : AAUSAT 4 (41460)
you can ask for the data :SatNOGS DB - AAUSAT 4
you can see the decoded data avalibel in :Grafana
Now you have many choices: you can use a decoded pattern with specific software, or use a ready-made software, or find the decoding standard and apply it to the telemetry data (exp : AAUSAT-4, LilacSat-2 or AAUSAT4 telemetry beacon decoder - DK3WN SatBlog).

Best Regards