A surprising northern reception for an old newcomer! 😲

Hello everyone! I’m an elderly newcomer to this fascinating hobby.

My station is usually completely blind to the north because my house blocks the direction. But the other day, looking at the map, I suddenly found packets coming all the way from the north (like Sakhalin and beyond)!

Is this some kind of sporadic radio propagation, or did my antenna catch a lucky break through a tiny structural gap? For an old beginner like me, seeing this kind of sudden anomaly on the screen is absolute magic.

Any thoughts from the experienced operators here? 73!

1 Like

that is the magic of lora. under snr but still can decoded

1 Like

Thanks for the kind explanation, bali! The absolute magic of LoRa under SNR is incredible. And to make it even more fun, I’m pulling this off using a super-lazy, improvised DIY antenna right by my window!

Who would have thought such a makeshift setup could catch signals all the way from the north? Thanks again for the insight, 73!

4 Likes

ā€œWindow closed → NO DATA! :sweat_smile:ā€

As you can see, right after capturing that last PEARL-1A packet at 09:06 UTC, I closed the window with the antenna set up right on the glass… and of course, absolute silence!

Guess my window glass has an excellent RF-shielding feature. I suppose my station will be ā€œclosed for the winter seasonā€ soon? :snowman_without_snow::snowflake:

73, Yukio / JP7DVX

1 Like

I couldn’t just accept ā€˜absolute silence’, so I took the antenna right off the window glass. The moment I did, the decoder woke up from its deep sleep and started catching signals again!

1 Like

how much temp now? lowest and highest

Minimum 17°C, maximum 26°C. A perfect weather to open the window!

1 Like