3D Plastic vs -40C = Not Fun Crunchy Times

I’d really like to replace my existing AMSAT setup with a SATNOGS capable system. But anything plastic and 3D printed is fundamentally not compatible with the -40 C temperatures we get here in the Middle of Canada. No amount of PLA gears will survive that. Sorry.
For example, our city streetlights started blinking like a Daft Punk video because the traces and connectors on the boards started to contract.
Any other options or testing done for extreme weather?
I understand there are temperature sensors for overheat, what about freezing?

1 Like

What kind of AMSAT setup you got? There that with minor modifications your existing setup will be SatNOGS capable. Feel free to check https://wiki.satnogs.org/Build

Also keep in mind that many users are able to their pre-existing setups for AMSAT operations.

1 Like

That’s an interesting problem. You might want to look into 3d printing of cubesat parts as the thermal environment you are describing is similar to LEO.

Here’s a link to research on using PEEK for space applications. I have no idea how expensive or practical these materials are.

Here’s a blog from a company that made a 3d printer to make parts on the ISS. Unfortunately, they don’t describe the materials they use. You might be able to find details from NASA given that they sponsored the project.

1 Like

PLA is a no-go no matter where you live! --It’ll either be too cold, or too hot.

I think most people are printing in ABS to avoid any temperature related issues, not to mention it’s much stronger.

I’m in Canada, printed all my parts in ABS, I’m still assembling though.

1 Like