2024-08-29 09:20 UTC and 11:00 UTC: ISS Cubesat Deployment (JAXA) J-SSOD#31 - [CosmoGirl-Sat, SaganSat0, SAKURA, Wisseed Sat, Binar-2, -3, -4]

Latest Update 2024-08-28 18:40 UTC

Temporary NORAD ID Satellite Frequency Notes Deployed
AMATEUR VHF
99196 Sakura 145.825 MHz APRS Digipeater IARU Coordinated Kibo ISS (JAXA)
98811 CosmoGirl-Sat 145.825 MHz APRS Digipeater IARU Coordinated Kibo ISS (JAXA)
98810 SaganSat0 145.825 MHz APRS Digipeater IARU Coordinated Kibo ISS (JAXA)
AMATEUR UHF
98810 SaganSat0 437.050 MHz IARU Coordinated Kibo ISS (JAXA)
98811 CosmoGirl-Sat 437.120 MHz IARU Coordinated Kibo ISS (JAXA)
99196 Sakura 437.375 MHz IARU Coordinated Kibo ISS (JAXA)
98808 Binar-2 437.700 MHz IARU Coordinated Kibo ISS (JAXA)
98807 Binar-3 437.850 MHz IARU Coordinated Kibo ISS (JAXA)
98806 Binar-4 437.925 MHz IARU Coordinated Kibo ISS (JAXA)
IN DB WITHOUT FREQUENCIES
98809 Wisseed Sat - - Kibo ISS (JAXA)

Latest Update 2024-08-28 18:40 UTC

ORIGINAL POST:

The date and time of the deployment are subject to change due to the ISS schedule modification.

1st Deployment: CosmoGirl-Sat, SaganSat0, SAKURA, Wisseed Sat
2nd Deployment: Binar-2, Binar-3, Binar-4

JAXA announcement

Detailed information with frequencies

9 Likes

3 Likes

via Twitter

3 Likes

via Twitter

3 Likes

Details for Binar-2, 3, and 4:
Callsign: VK6BSP
Frequency:

• Binar-2: 437.7MHz
  • Binar-3: 437.85MHz
  • Binar-4: 437.925MHz
    Mode: 9k6 GFSK
    Frame and Packet Information:

Happy to answer any and all questions about Binar-234!

Fergus VK6DRD
Binar Space Program Senior Engineer

7 Likes

Thanks for the info, Fergus!

By chance are any sample recordings (audio or I/Q) available for your satellites?

While waiting for deployment, it’s always nice to be able to confirm that our software is setup to decode the downlinks properly.

Thanks!

2 Likes

There are! Team is just doing some important testing with our ground station today but I’ll try and get them to you as soon as possible.

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/xdh35ry3v9w79tq4zmon0/amateur_test_data.zip?rlkey=m2e7tnbbumw7m9e13vxmfthlw&st=ckhltszc&dl=0

Give this a go and let me know if you have any problems.

2 Likes

Hi Fergus,

Thanks for sharing these information.

Do all three satellites use the same callsign, without any SSID to distinguish them?

Could you also provide us more information about the data field of the telemetry packet to be able to convert the hex numbers to the actual values?

Daniel

Appreciate the sample data!

What is the format & sample rate of the TM.iq file?

I believe they use the default format from GNU radio, but I’ll have to check that with the software team. The sample rate is 192k samples per second.

1 Like

Thanks! Will give that a try.

All three satellites have different identifiers in the data segment.

I’ll see what we can do regarding decoding the data. Will have to check with the software team to see if we can give you software to do it your self.

Or if you want to try yourself the radio is based of the OpenLST, so we use the depaketiser structure used by that (CC1110 structure). The data is then cobs encoded into a data stream. If you want to try it yourself I can get you a list of which bytes correspond to which value (battery voltage, Sat ID, battery temperatures, etc.)

1 Like

That I/Q sample file for Binar-2, 3, and 4 does appear to be 9600 baud when viewed in Inspectrum w/ sample rate = 192000:

And I see that there are OpenLST blocks available for GNU Radio at:

… unfortunately, they require GNU Radio version 3.10 (which I don’t have installed). But if someone else wants to give those blocks a try, I would love to hear if they decode the sample file for the Binar sats.

1 Like

Space Hauc by UML was one mission that used OpenLST, albeit only on the 401 MHz link, and not the 436 MHz.

Would be good to have your software to see what we should expect while playing with OpenLST.

And to build a decoder for a dashboard we would also need a list of which bytes correspond to which value and of course to see which byte (or bits) identifies the satellite.

Hi all,

My name is Tristan and I am a Software engineer at Binar.

You are correct on the 9600 baud and the sample rate of 19200. The modulation is GFSK. I should have shared this in the document. The three satellites transmit at 437.7, 437.85 and 437.925 MHz.

Sorry we do not have a decoder ready to share with you as we would need to make some changes to it before we can release it to the amateur community. I will see if I can get it done before deployment but that seems unlikely.

As Fergus has explained, we have use the OpenLST board, this is a good link for information https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&opi=89978449&url=https://ssdl.gatech.edu/sites/default/files/ssdl-files/papers/mastersProjects/SaborioR-8900.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwjR2arSvJSIAxUqsFYBHZsxJJMQFnoECBcQAQ&usg=AOvVaw3c8bqplqJ7ibydiAU-3JjT

As you can see, the OpenLST board has a Hardware ID at the end of the packet and it is unique to each satellite. For the test data we shared with you, the hardware id at the end of the packet is the 02 01 bytes in position 5th and 6th from the end. We also have our own ID in the data field, the data is cobs encoded, the first 11 bytes will be your satellite identifier when converted into a string. Also in the data field, we have the Callsign message. Callsign starts at byte 22 and it is 38 bytes long.

Hope this helps for now. I will get more information once other priorities have been completed. I will monitor this chat if you have any questions. Hope I can be of more help soon.

Regards, Tristan.

3 Likes

I’m using version 3.10.
Will have a look, but certainly will need your help at some point.

Deployments live on Youtube:

#1 09:20 UTC - CosmoGirl-Sat, SaganSat0, SAKURA, Wisseed Sat
#2 11:00 UTC - Binar-2, -3, -4

(https://humans-in-space.jaxa.jp/kibouser/pickout/74006.html)

3 Likes

@vk6tpw

About Binars some questions:

In IARU coordination there are references about CW and OQPSK, would be any of these transmissions?

In ITU entry there are references about transmission around 441.25 MHz, around 1621.25 MHz and around 2251 MHz, are these still valid?

Also about GFSK, would this be only 9k6 baud rate transmission or there would be other baudrates like 1k2 and 19k2 described in IARU coordination?