Waterfall and audio files not uploaded [solved]

@DL4PD: I got into this situation for a number of reasons:

First because I want to learn about SDR and DSP. I have the SatNOGGS image running on a RPi. It works well, but I felt that I didn’t learn anything from it. So I decided to try to build it on my workstation (running OpenSUSE Leap 42.3), so I could better study it, possibly eventually doing my own things using e.g GRC.

Second out of ignorance. I cloned the code from Gitlab and followed this installation instruction It talks about setting up ‘the’ virtual environment. Not knowing the implications of doing this I set up a virtual environment. It later turned out that the environmet is Python3. At that time i had not realized that SatNOGS use Python2, so I plunged ahead - running into some of the incompatibilities between Python2 and Python3

I thought (naively) that being a rather young project SatNOGS would have opted for Python3 but I guess there are good reasons for sticking to Python2. Personally I have chosen Python3 for my own programming, because I believe that at a certain time Python2 will be obsoleted and eventually abandoned. So I chose Python3 - just like I have chosen to use systemd, because it is the coming thing.

Anyway, I’m not religious about Python versions so I’ll switch to Python2. I guess that I can do that by deleting everything I have done so far, reclone from Gitlab, not set up the virtual environment (OpenSUSE has Python2.7 as default) and I should be in business.

Any comments on this (rather long) story?

Good to hear you’ve already things up and running!

So if it is just your interest to get things running on Python 3 this is ok, I just did not get the point. :wink:
Im sorry I can’t help with that :frowning:

I have redone the installation of satnogs-client, this time paying close attention, so it became a Python 2.7 installation. I had to specify pip2 in the ‘pip install -e .’ command.

So now my observations are being uploaded - at least the audio files. I’m still have a few minor problems with the waterfalls, but they should be solved by now (missing gnuplot - /usr/share vs. /usr/local/share)

So onward and upwards to new problems - no, call them challenges.:grin:

@n5fxh and @DL4PD: Thanks for taking the time to help me.

2 Likes

On my dev-station I simply added a symlink to one of the missing directories:

$ sudo ln -s /usr/local/share/satnogs /usr/share/satnogs

HTH, 73,
Patrick

I did exactly the same. Odd that such a thing isn’t configurable.

Bent

Don’t forget it’s a pretty young project!
If you miss something: go ahead and make it available :wink:

That’s why it is open source!

Patrick

Point taken.

I this case it should be easy: The culprit is the waterfall configuration script ‘satnogs_waterfall.gp’. It is the only script located in /usr/share/satnogs/scripts (or /usr/local/share/satnogs/scripts as is the case for me). So you could introduce a varaiable (in settings.py?) called e.g. SATNOGS_SCRIPT_PATH and then change the ‘plot_waterfall’ method in observer.py to use settings.SATNOGS_SCRIPT_PATH rather than the hardwired path it uses today.

However, I’m not familiar with the developments process for the SatNOGS project so I hesitate. Perhaps you (I know from OZ9AEC that you are one of the developers) could point me in the right direction. I assume that I would have to do a git push?

Bent

1 Like

For the waterfall-script: this is installed in /usr/local because it’s a “local” build! I bet you can change that somehow by adding a destination to the “make install” command.

If you would like to contribute (like me, let’s say I’m a contributor for a while, the core-developers do have ways more of experience ;)) you would have to learn about git. After your work on a specific “issue” you can do a “Pull Request” (or “PR”) for github projects or a “Merge Request” (or “MR”) for gitlab projects. This will be approved by the owner of the github project or by one of the maintainers of a gitlab project. It’s a bit of self training needed to do things the correct way and I am still learning, too. My first contact with commands beyond ‘git clone’ was as I first tried to improve something on gpredict, and it is still hard for me :wink:

If I could help on a specific problem you have: feel free to ask.

Thanks a lot. I’ll take it from here - it’s a good opportunity to learn more about git.