SatNOGS Strategy - 2018 Edition

This document is fantastic! I would love the chance to talk to you more about how we can incorporate these goals into what my library at the Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics is hoping to do in library settings with SatNOGs. I’ve talked to @elkos about this and in particular I think the following align really well with what we’ve been working on but I have some suggested additions.

Little background first: My library in collaboration with a few public libraries wants to augment a curriculum the Media Lab has developed to help high schoolers build cubesats. We want to implement the new curriculum as modules in libraries. Ideally, library communities would be able to help build a ground station and then there could be programming developed around using data collected from the cubesat network. At my library we’re also particularly interested in developing a more standard data infrastructure and set of protocols for gathering data from and about CubeSat missions to make sure this information is available to anyone who can benefit from it. I’d also like to make sure the data from SatNOGs can be linked easily to platforms like the NASA Astrophysics Data System. I think academic entities could also help pilot the expansion of your S + band capabilities.

This documentation piece here would be key to making it realistic for non-technical people (in libraries and elsewhere) to invest in participating in the network. Which I think feeds well into the community component. So below where the on boarding experience could be improved for new developers, I’d also recommend improving the experience of new community members who aren’t developers.

My library is exceedingly interested in supporting this:

I think this should be made a higher priority though. Without an approachable data warehouse that’s well connected to the network it’ll be challenging to engage a broader community and connect SatNOGs to other infrastructure. I’m hoping to start looking for funding for a pilot of what I’ve described here after participating in the OCSW so I’d love to talk more!

5 Likes