Satnogs satellite list policy

In general SatNOGS DB and SatNOGS Network are two different projects. They have different code repositories, they can run on its own and they serve different purposes.

SatNOGS DB serves the purpose of cataloging satellites/transmitters info and store data coming from any source in a specific format. One of these sources could be a network of ground stations.

SatNOGS DB project that LSF runs in db.satnogs.org gets data from from Telemetry Forwarder users/stations, gr-satellites users/stations, SatNOGS Network users/stations and from any other source that uploads data in SIDS format. So, that means that if SatNOGS network stops sending data, DB will still be functional and still will receive data, as it did 1 year ago when Network wasn’t able to send data to DB.

SatNOGS Network serves the purpose of ground station network management for observing satellites.

SatNOGS Network project that it is hosted from LSF in network.satnogs.org uses as source for satellites/transmitters data the SatNOGS DB, however it could use another source for these data if there was one.

So, there are relations between the two projects in the way LSF runs both of them, however keeping DB logging everything that’s out there, doesn’t mean that Network should follow to observe everything which is a discussion we have to do.

The discussion here is how we can change the DB in such a way that will expose the necessary info (about co-ordinations/regulations etc) for anyone interested (including Network).

6 Likes

I don’t want to argue but i do wish to point a few things out.

Firstly I would like to say that there is nothing illegal about listening to a transmitter that is 'illegally" (I mean not co-ordinated) transmitting. It is the transmitter that would be committing a crime. (Think about pirate FM radio stations. The listeners are not the ones violating the law. The broadcaster is.)
Secondly the FCC is fine with you listening to almost any freq. (For somethings there are rules about what you can disclose to others. Like if you were stealing TV you can get in trouble.)

Generally the FCC says if you have to decrypt it then don’t listen to it or you may be able to get in legal trouble. Interception and Divulgence of Radio Communications | Federal Communications Commission These rules don’t really cover satellites but still informational.

It tracks others satellites. NOAA weather sats for one. Also the ITU does not deal with Amateurs satellites. They delegated the IARU to deal with that. The ITU deals with the other freqs used for Space ,and ground stuff.

I wish to say that he did not limit the discussion to Amateur Radio. He just added on at the end ‘especially for a licensed radio amateur too’ because generally radio amateurs have rules that are less restrictive.

International Rules are from multiple nations coming together to make rules for space so they don’t run a muck. (sort of like why we make rules for other shared things) Also a nation does have control over who can launch a satellite and also that if you plan on controlling a satellite from the USA the FCC gets involved because the satellite is licensed under the operators license.

Also considering the satellites builds own the satellites. \O/ The KĂĄrmĂĄn line was used to decided when air space ends and open space begins. Below it is the air space of the country above it is free space. Much like international waters in the ocean.

6 Likes