Request to add CUTE to the SatNOGS DB

Hi all,

A quick question, when CUTE is expected to start transmitting after deployment?

First, just for posterity’s stake (for anyone reading through this thread), this question was answered by @aregan over on this other thread here.

I noticed that @DL4PD’s CSIM decoder has conversions listed in the ‘doc’ field of each telemetry point. Is this information parsed and used when building the dashboard? Or, is there somewhere else that you would like me to catalog that information…?

Conversion formulae are documented in the ksy file but are not parsed. The fact, that, if there is a mistake somewhere in the formulae, we need to have a merge request and a new tag of the repo to get the CI triggered. All conversions are made inside the dashboard, using a fancy editor for this.

And, along these lines–is there a repo where dashboards are stored? I found satnogs/satnogs-dw, but I don’t see a repository, just an issue tracker. Is the repo private?

There is no repo for dashboards, as it is not trivial to export and import those along different grafana versions.

Good to know. I’ve pushed a .TSV file with CUTE SOH telemetry definitions here:

After some struggling, I did just manage to get a kaitai struct decoder working for CUTE telemetry and tested this against some of the observation data recorded on the network thus far. I opened a pull request to add this file to satnogs-decoders here:

… only to find that Patrick beat me to it last night! :stuck_out_tongue:

I have no preference as to which gets used; both should work just fine.

By the way, we just had a pass in the past ~30 minutes over Boulder, CO, and we tried using the most recent TLE that Goddard gave us, only to find that the current SatNOGS TLE outperformed it by about 5dB of extra signal :slight_smile:

In good news–we managed to get two commands in! Both were to increase the beacon rate to 4 seconds. Note that these are automatically overridden after about 5 minutes by an internal macro, so the next observations obtained by SatNOGS ground stations will see beacons at 16 second intervals again.

Thanks everyone for the observations, TLEs, the decoder, etc.!

5 Likes