On RESET command what happens within CURRENT SOFTWARE?

OK, I am using (from VE command to Arduino) VESatNOGS-v2 software and V2 PCB (dated 2018-01-21). When I issue a RESET Command, isn’t the AZ/EL supposed to go negative steps until it hits the endstop? I see where it populates the variables for the current position (AZ/EL) and then sends them over the RS-485, sets the homing_flag to false, then during main routine it sees homing_flag false, calls stepper_az and stepper_el and NOTHING happens

IS THIS THE LATEST SOFTWARE THAT I AM USING? IS THIS A KNOWN PROBLEM?

Where are you issuing this command? Is this Easycomm or rotctl command?

Reset could mean: 1. reset and do nothing, or 2. reset and home (like you assume in your case). It might also be that this is not implemented yet.

ps. Once again, capital letters will not make anyone answer faster to your questions. Please refrain from “yelling”. Thanks!

I send the RESET command (via easycomm or another terminal program) and it does nothing in terms of movement. I get the reply back on the UART of az0 el0 but that is it.

Ok, so that is what i was trying to get at. If this code is not completed why is it released? At the very least a warning about Beta Testing is needed. I’d rather have theee lines of code that is rock solid than 15 lines of code that may or may not work or notification of the Staus of the software. The website that was recently updated talks about commands that are supposedly working (RESET being one of them) so I was questioning my quality control in terms of putting the PCB together correctly.

It is very frustrating from a user standpoint to put all this effort into and find out that there are still problems with it.

I see that the forum is already working V3 rotor and you’re still trying to get V2 running. That makes no sense what so ever. Who can I email to volunteer to help with the project?

Is there a list or something that shows what is and isn’t solid/in works/doesn’t even exist that I can look at. I wasn’t expecting to have to debug software to get V2 up and running (which was my thoughts when I see a large group working on V3)?

I spend more time troubleshooting what I think is MY quality control issues and it turns out that is the actual hardware that isn’t mature.

This is just really frustrating…

As for all the caps, I realize that it is yelling, but the last go around concerning the RS-485 and Arduino pin definitions it took about 6-8 requests to get a solid answer as to where the latest code was… which it is still not correct and I finally just threw my hands up in disgust and resrote the pin def file and then uploaded to the forum. This time around, I figured I’d cut to the chase and make sure that people understood completely what I was looking for instead of a “it works fine on my end” response. That helps no one.

I think you are confused a bit with versioning.

Rotator hardware (mechanics) has v0.1 v2.0, v3, v3.0.1, and master (unreleased to become v3.1) as you can see here:

Rotator controller hardware (electronics) has v1, v2.0, v2.1, v2.2, and master (unreleased) as you can see here:

Suggested for now is to go with v3.0.1 (or master and be helpful on documentation) on mechanical and v2.2 on electronics (and help with software around it too).

With all your posts of frustration, I have still not understood which version you are using, or trying to set up. Please help us help you.

LOL, I am not even sure myself on the version of which part - that is the basis of my confusion.

I am using the DC stepper motors, and DO NOT have the IR sensors but the switch. My PCB is from the schematics that are dated 2018-01-21 (it has the TC74 temp sensors, the DC stepper controllers, RS-485 interface

) Here is a screenshot of the schematic, and another one of the PCB itself.

I am also using the software from azisi that is dated (most of the source files have different dates) around 2017-3-14 - 2017-11-12.

The first thing that I would suggest is putting revision numbers on EACH file (including headers), comment sections of who did what and go from there. I’ve made some significant changes to the main file, and corrected the pin definition header file (rotor_pins.h). Second, I have zero experience with open source stuff…How do you maintain configuration management - i.e. I work on these corrects, upload it to “somewhere”, then someone else uploads files that writes over all my work? How do you keep that from happening?

In this link (librespacefoundation / SatNOGS / satnogs-rotator-firmware · GitLab) the document states that some features are working - and they clearly are not - most definitely the reset/home as well as EL commands. I added the home command to execute when first powered up.

I can easily work on the TC74 (temp sensor) software as I have a lot of experience with them on the Microchip PIC embedded processor.

Hm, not sure what you expect, but: it’s git!
You can try to learn and use it (I’m in a very basic state with git and that’s all not that easy for me - and I just don’t know the reason for that ;)). Maybe that is the real mess you’re dealing with.
If you have cloned the repositiry, simply do one “git log” to see who did what changes and when.
There are many (many many) tools out there to use with git, maybe someone with a lot more experience can jump in and give you a good start - or simply search the web :wink:

I’ve done plenty of downloads…how do I upload the revised software? Is there GIT for Dummies that I can read?

I’ve read several docs while learning the basic stuff.
Don’t remember which I started with, but try this: