Observation 666647: CAS-4B (42759)

Regarding Observation 666647

Looks like some kind of alien interference…

Shout out to my favorite oss project, uplinked from EM98di - tried to be a legal as possible about 4KHz bw, includes a cw id.

3 Likes

It looks as though you stomped right over an existing QSO.

Correct - will have a downlink monitor when I use a mic to do normal qsos - have to finish the rotator first.
Earlier complains on amsat-bb were that cas-4a,b were going unused :slight_smile:

You weren’t monitoring the downlink?! Is that not illegal, as it would be considered “broadcasting”? Unused or not, please don’t uplink to any satellite transponders if you are not actively tuning the downlink as well.

3 Likes

That will never happen again. Thanks.

Downlink monitoring implemented - fully sdr ground station with LimeSDR / gqrx listening, usrp b205mini transmitting thru a couple of amps, mfj duplexor and a new steerable antenna ( posted here Rotor based on SARCNET idea - #2 by cswiger ) – just did a test while ensuring the channel was clear here: SatNOGS Network - Observation 717365 – the cw id still drifts a bit, starts around 3kc, maybe drifts up to 5kc, while using gpredict doppler correction in grc. [ tle was off, fixed ]

Another lesson learned - using gpredict with multiple radios and rotator, make sure they are listening before clicking “engage”, and unselect “engage” before turning off an interface - lots of crashes until I figured that out.

3 Likes