Observation 2065718: METEOR-M 2 (40069)

I dug a bit deeper and after a lot of faff and learning came up with this after following LRPT Decoding Flowgraph + Scripts for the image generation (rotated to N-S orientation and highly compressed):

It’s just after sunset (I guess that’s where every METEOR-M 2 pass will be?) so a bit dark, but once rotated I can make out the UK.

This is from Observation #2161118 which unfortunately failed to upload due to muppetry on my part - managed to run out of space… I have a feeling I might get a bit more before LoS to the north without this faux-paus.

I need to grab the IQ from a morning pass for a better picture really. Perhaps tomorrow if I remember.

@vk5qi: I didn’t get any assert errors from the Costas loop in GnuRadio 3.8. (I’ve only done this on my Ubuntu dev box at the moment, not on the Pi.) Not really understanding the maths I did have to faff quite a bit with sample rates and the like until it worked (had a 320khz IQ grabbed with the default observer), but I got there in the end. It looks like the LRPT transponder’s switched to a 72K symbol rate which was somewhat throwing me off! I imagine I should update the database to reflect that.

1 Like