New users welcome

Ah, thanks so much for bringing this up, and for the feedback. I’ll take this back to the team and discuss it with them.

I’m not actually seeing this anywhere on our website. Are you sure you aren’t looking at OpenLuna instead?

Yes, I apologize. I confused the OpenLuna Foundation, Inc. (http://openluna.org) with your Open Lunar Foundation (https://openlunar.org).

2 Likes

Hi everyone,

I’m Sotiris a Master’s student, studying Signal and Image processing at the Aix-Marseille University, in Marseille, France. I completed GSOC last year an Greek FOSS project and I am interested in submitting a proposal for this year’s program under LSF. After browsing and examining the project ideas, I decided to start preparing my proposal for the project “Python module for satellite RF collisions”.

For the time being; I am studying the satNOGS network repository and the basics of satellite orbits and RF collisions, preparing my proposal, based on the LSF template. I would like to ask you however for any additional resources that you guys might have in mind. For example, is there a specific paper or article that I should read, is there any other software (open-source or not) that tackles this problem already? I would be interested in reading the documentation.

Furthermore, can we contact the potential mentor through e-mail? Do we post our proposals on separate threads for feedback?

Thanks everybody, stay safe!!

@fredy

2 Likes

Hi @sotpap, welcome to community!

In case you missed it, check the related with the GSoC project issue. There you will find details and answers to questions and how you can contact me.

2 Likes

import new_user

Hello, I am new to LSF without any contribution yet, but intend to participate as much as possible. Currently learning Java and Python and aiming to undertake courses into robotics and machine learning. I have no LSF - related background (Bsc and work experience in shipping…)

2 Likes

I’m new to LSF but not to the space and radio community.

Just bringing up first SatNOGS node with UHF quadrifilar antenna with pre-amp. Thinking about how to build tracking mount for circularly polarized dual Yagi for uplink.

Put my own TubeSat in LEO from ISS in 2017 with 35 cm LoRa under FCC Experimental License. Got a few packets even with a bad sat antenna. Ground station was 16 dBi helix mounted on tracking telescope mount feeding LoRa/Arduino RX.

Long time high power rocket enthusiast - Tripoli and NAR Level 3, TAP, and led the successful AeroPac team to be first fully documented open source fully recovered amateur flight north of 100k’ AGL in 2012. Co-leads the ARLISS project (www.arliss.org) - A Rocket Launch for International Student Satellites - founded by Bob Twiggs - inventor of CanSats and CubeSats. For 20 years we have been flying international student satellites on sounding rockets in the Black Rock Desert.

Passionately interested in rockets and satellites for STEM - particularly now PocketQubes and LoRa for both rocket and satellite telemetry.

Hi @vagelis and @kenbiba welcome to the community!

Hello Everyone! My name is Osama. I’m pursuing my bachelor’s degree in CS from University of Karachi, Karachi, Pakistan. I intend to apply in this year’s Google Summer of Code. While doing some research I got interested in your organization. I wanted to know if it is possible to work on new ideas rather than the projects already available. I also want to know where I can discuss topics related to GSOC’20 on your community. Thank you!

1 Like

Hi @osama, welcome to the community!

For GSoC, you can submit a proposal with your own idea in GSoC site. If you want to discuss it further, you can open an issue at https://gitlab.com/librespacefoundation/soc-org/-/issues were all the ideas for GSoC and similar activities are documented by students and mentors.

Hi! My name is Denis, I’m from Argentina but know I’m working in Rome, Italy.

This project is great.

In Argentina, I studied a master in space technology taught at CONAE (Argentina Space Agency). Nowadays I’m making my first steps with SDR and Gnuradio for the design of a ground station. Currently learning Python.

Thanks everybody for your contributions to this project

3 Likes

Hi @denis and @tinbkjnbv welcome to the community!

1 Like

Hi everyone, my name is Alex! I’m a physics student on an integrated master’s degree programme, entering final year, from London. I aim to pursue a PhD in an applied field.

I’m a proficient Python programmer with professional experience, also comfortable with UNIX and with working knowledge of C++, SQL, MatLab, Javascript and web development languages.

I have a strong statistics and numerical modelling background from my degree, as well as holding advanced knowledge across various areas of physics.

I feel that I could contribute most strongly on the programming/data analysis front, as this is my strongest skill, but am happy to assist in other areas too.

I’m intruiged to learn more about the projects at Libre Space and contribute!

3 Likes

Welcome to the family Alex. Lot’s of interesting things going on here. Your skills will be appreciated here as we help one another with our various projects. I’m strictly hardware but the people here have guided me whenever I needed help with software.
73 Bob vk2byf

4 Likes

Hi, My name is Greg and I am from South Carolina, USA. I have been interested in satellites for a long time and came across this project. My background is in math/software engineering. This is a great project and I am looking forward to being a part of it!

Greg
KB0UPO

2 Likes

Hello to all, my name is Johan and living in the North East from the Netherlands (JO33md). I am a ham operator (PE9DX) for 42 years now and did a lot of radio related things in my radio hobby. Satnogs and to build a ground station was already a time on my To Do list. Last 2 weeks collected a Raspberry, burned the image and then it was not working. After almost a whole day reading this community foudn some failers what could be wrong at my station. Spend a half hour to checked this and then it works.

Now comes the fun for me, building up the hardware (antennes) for my ground station.

Radio never is boring!!!

3 Likes

Hi everyone - my name is Mark and I live in Norfolk, England.

I was a researcher in Particle Physics (programming in fortran!) and am now a teacher. Have been really interested in space for decades since being a small boy in the 70s.

I like building antennae from scratch and have so far built a co-co for ADSB, a QFH out of 15mm pipe and more recently an eggbeater 2 out of 8mm aluminium tube and copper angle joints (no soldering!). I also built a homebrew you-loop which is just magical.

My station is 1376 and it’s now fully out of testing phase.

It gives me a real kick that the data I receive and submit is actually helpful in some small way.

The RSGB decision to allow online exams for foundation level licences in the GB mean that I am taking the exam on July 13th. Wish luck and I hope to QSO soon!

4 Likes

Hello everyone, my name is Yoshihiro and live in Japan, Tsukuba sciencence city, my callsign is JJ1TBC.
I’m interesting about ground station and satellite.
SatNOGS project is very exciting me.
Catching the satellite and demodulating is very interesting.
Radio and software defined radio is more and more deep.
I intend to add ground station by RPi, write blog, study code of GNU radio (gr-satnogs). Thanks.

4 Likes

Welcome in the community @ynakagawa!

Hello, I am Alex Copley, and I’m a student at the University of Alabama, studying Computer Science.

I’m working on the Cubesat program here (UASpace), and am looking to learn how to use SatNOGS and its related projects as a member of the Command and Data Handling sub-team.

I posted a month ago regarding working with Gpredict, and am now looking at getting acquainted with the dashboard. Currently am reading through the Satellite Operator Guide to get a feel on what to do next, and am looking forward to getting started on working with y’all.