Installing SatNogs client on Ubuntu PC

Hello PE0SAT,

my sources list has this line:
deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ bullseye main contrib non-free
I guess this is what you suggest.

When I run the Ansible script, I experience this error:

root@ub-cubesat11:/home/ubadmin/satnogs-client-ansible# ansible-playbook -i production/inventory/host -K site.yml
BECOME password:
[WARNING]: Unable to parse /home/ubadmin/satnogs-client-ansible/production/inventory/host as an inventory source
[WARNING]: No inventory was parsed, only implicit localhost is available
[WARNING]: provided hosts list is empty, only localhost is available. Note that the implicit localhost does not match
‘all’
Executing playbook site.yml
[WARNING]: Could not match supplied host pattern, ignoring: satnogs-setups

• satnogs-setups on hosts: satnogs-setups -
    No hosts found!
    [WARNING]: Could not match supplied host pattern, ignoring: satnogs_setups
  • satnogs_setups on hosts: satnogs_setups -
    No hosts found!
    [WARNING]: Could not match supplied host pattern, ignoring: satnogs-clients
    […]

The hosts file looks as follows:

all:
hosts:
satnogs:
ansible_host: ‘127.0.0.1’
ansible_user: ‘ubadmin’
ansible_ssh_pass: ‘*********************’
ansible_ssh_pipelining: true
satnogs-setups:
hosts:
satnogs:
satnogs-radios:
hosts:
satnogs:
hamlib-utils:
hosts:
satnogs:
satnogs-clients:
hosts:
satnogs:
snmpds:
hosts:
satnogs:
gpsds:
hosts:
satnogs:

I had also tried to add the localhost to each category (satnogs-setups, satnogs-radio…) to no avail.

If you had any clue, please let me know.

Cheers. Jan

Hi Jan,

Sorry my reply was related to the Dell Buster install that failed.

Currently there is no Bullseye support for the SatNOGS client so that will not work.

I do think it will be possible to install Buster on your Dell PowerEdge.

Jan - PE0SAT

Hello PE0SAT,

okay. I see. I had several problems with Buster on my rather old PowerEdge.

I still have some soldering and mechanical work to do before I can get my Yagi SatNogs groundstation to work. So, I have a bit of time. I also have a Raspberry left over to bridge the time until the SatNogs client work on Bullseye.

So, I ll wait for now.

Have a good week. Jan

1 Like

I wanted to revisit an earlier thread. I have GNURadio 3.9 and Ubuntu 20.04 and I get the same GrSwig issue (of course). Has there been any progress on porting SatNogs to either GnuRadio 3.9 or 3.10? I understand the recommendation was to roll back a) to GnuRadio 3.8 and b) to Debian instead of Ubuntu but I don’t see how that is practical for what I want – too many other GnuRadio pieces are optimized either for GnuRadio 3.9+ or Ubuntu.

Hi, just saw this now.

I can regularly have a solid install on 20.04, works a charm. There are a couple of issues with 22.04 I’ll look at in the future, but I don’t think they are major issues.

As for getting running on 20.04, I’ll finish up the instructions on the Wiki (boy does life get in the way), and then let you know.

TLDR: It runs well on Ubuntu 20.04 - I’ll try to finish the instructions shortly.

EDIT: I have also spent some time on some BASH scripts to automate the process somewhat. This includes satnogs-monitor. The idea being that ANYONE with Ubuntu can taste SatNOGS and have some fun without some of the challenges.

2 Likes

Finally finished off the guide. Ready for people to test. Any problems let me know.

Ubuntu - Client Installation

5 Likes

I followed this guide but had failures. After a day and a bit of research I found PE0SAT had a write up so I followed that (in addition to your guide) but I don’t know the exact thing that fixed the install on my 20.04 Ubuntu computer.

https://pe0sat.vgnet.nl/download/SatNOGS/satnogs-client-ubuntu-srv.log

Hi. I found that there was an issue or two after some later SatNOGs updates. I have a work around, but want to test again and will update.

From memory, there was an issue with the pip installs. But some more may have crept in.

I’ve also worked on automating the install process, and have had success - pending any updates required.

Thanks for your thoughts, mate.
Brett

1 Like