Geoscan-Edelveis mission

Probably we will transmit array of images from buffer. You should be able to receive it

Thank you! Is there any estimated date so I can know when to start receiving?

Also what sort of antena will be required, and what is the bandwidth of the x band signal?

1 Like

However, this long file that I received with a length of 5.30 did not have a jpeg tag . Another file, has several tags , but the system after conversion could not extract the jpeg from them. This is quite difficult.

1 Like

Hmmā€¦ are you able to send this file?

I wrote about it here:

1 Like

Thank you very much! Also, are you able to send a file that decodes successfully into a jpeg for comparison? Thanks!

Also, what is your soundmodem setup for this?

This is not the case. IARU declined your coordination because there is a pecuniary interest.

Past coordinations are not a guide for future ones. Besides you have to look into the specifics and what those missions did (or not) for the amateur radio satellite service.

IARU has been clear that we could consider amateur frequency coordination if a university with a responsible radio amateur would submit a coordination request.

1 Like

http://uz7.ho.ua/geoscan.zip
GEOSCAN 9600bd

2 Likes

Ok so I managed to extract a jpeg from example files using my own python script, now moving on to tackling these!
CMD1_002

I can confirm these arenā€™t JPEG files as they fail to decode on my own decoder as well.

Can you share your python script ?

Sure! Let me make a github for it. Itā€™s very basic though.

1 Like

I agreeā€¦ this does have several JPEG tags on here but it does not decode. I converted and ran many of the downloaded binary files through a massive database of hex file identifiersā€¦ while the image dumps could easily be identified as ā€œJPEG Bitmapā€, the mystery files yielded ā€œUnknown dataā€ā€¦ I wonder whether or not this is a format that the @geoscan team came up withā€¦ perhaps @K4KDR or @EA4GPZ have ideas? Iā€™m stumped here! (FYI I used trid for the analysis.)

Youā€™ve certainly got parts of (several) image files in those captures, but it appears that too many packets are missing to allow a valid image file to be assembled. Thatā€™s a huge down-side of the JPG file format.

Yes, I was thinking the same thingā€¦ way too many FFD8s present

I now made a python tool available

Iā€™m not great with python, so please be kind :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks for sharing the python script.
Here some more data dumps.

1 Like

Great development!

I tried to decode this observation https://network.satnogs.org/observations/6543150/ and after a replay it gave me the following GetKissPlus output: log file

When I try to decode the file, I get the following error:

python geoscan_proc.py 
Raw GEOSCAN mode?y
Input file:t.txt
Output file:t.jpg
Characters to remove (16 raw soundmodem, 47 for GetKISS+):47

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/source/git/radio-satellites/geoscan-tools/geoscan_proc.py", line 44, in <module>
    image_geoscan.save(out_file)
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/PIL/Image.py", line 2284, in save
    self._ensure_mutable()
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/PIL/Image.py", line 599, in _ensure_mutable
    self._copy()
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/PIL/Image.py", line 592, in _copy
    self.load()
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/PIL/ImageFile.py", line 276, in load
    raise_oserror(err_code)
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/PIL/ImageFile.py", line 71, in raise_oserror
    raise OSError(message + " when reading image file")
OSError: broken data stream when reading image file

I run this command on Debian Linux and the python version is 3.10.7

Any idea what could be wrong?

1 Like

@pierros Thank you for answer!

Yes. IARU said that because we are company we by default have pecuniary interest. Which is certainly not a case. But we understand that and we sadly canā€™t do nothing with that. Rules are rules:)

Our supporting university with a responsible radio amateur submitted a coordination request. If you can, could you please, look into that:)