Firefly ALPHA: Noise of Summer Launch (ELaNa 43) - 2024-07-04 04:04 UTC

Thank you!

I am pretty new to SatNogs, but I do RF stuff for my day job. Does anyone here know if any of the stations in the Indo-Pacific region (Japan/Taiwan) have the ability to decode packets or if they provide IQ data? Having a ground station in that area would decrease the amount of time that we spend out of contact with our spacecraft dramatically.

New Zealand would also be good.

Have a look at the network main page, there you can see the active and testing stations all over the world, here a part of the East.

1 Like

CATSAT decoded nicely (2k4 mode tonight) via my 2.5-turn helical omni (RHCP).

https://x.com/scott23192/status/1818461340635218110

2 Likes

I have uploaded CATSAT packets to the SATNOGS database server since July 25, if I can be of any help please let me know.

Please email me at: bx1ad73@gmail.com

Thank you everyone! I am still new to SatNogs, so I guess i am still understanding where our packets are coming from. I really appreciate the support! I had no idea so many people were looking at us :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Just to give a quick overview, frames are gathered in SatNOGS DB by SatNOGS Network stations and 3rd party observers that use SiDS protocol to send data to DB.

As we have a decoder for CatSat, when someone sends a frame, this goes through the decoder and if it is decoded successfully is forwarded to the database that grafana dashboard uses for visualizing CatSat data.

Just to point out here that satellite teams sharing data and updates about their mission is very important and a great motivation for contributors to observe the specific mission.

5 Likes

Hi,

CATSAT may be drifting again? Saw it down band from 437.185 MHz by 8.9 kc, despite Doppler correction.

Was monitoring direct overhead pass at FN41iq 0108Z 1 Aug 24. Confirmed as CATSAT by IQ replay using BFO.

Will watch in future passes.
73, Bob N6RFM

3 Likes

CATSAT looks ok on a gps reference SatNOGS Network - Observation 9959727

2 Likes

Thanks Daniel for checking.

Looks OK this AM on my side as well. I will attribute my earlier comment to user error on my end, likely Dopper related. Will keep an eye on this just the same.
Bob

2 Likes

Hi, apologies for the delay. I have been talking with the software team to try to figure out this discrepancy. The code should actually specify a 12500 bps transmission rate. The original beacon.wav file is a few years old and predates my time on the team, and it is possible that SOC-i’s baud rate was changed during development. I will link some more recent test recordings. I am unfamiliar with inspectrum, but maybe these have a different baud rate? Thank you.
soci_test_recordings.zip - Google Drive

1 Like

Thank you for the updates!

Any idea what the format of the 3 .wav files in that ZIP archive is? They don’t seem to be valid WAV files (i.e., expected headers, etc.).

If nothing else, is the sample rate of those files available?

Thanks!

They are IQ recordings from SDR#. The sample rate used was either 2400000 or 1200000, but I believe it was the former. Do they open properly in Audacity? Here is a reupload, I might have compressed them incorrectly at first: soci_test_recordings_2.zip - Google Drive

Thank you!

Now they’re showing as valid files - many thanks!!

-Scott

And those samples appear to be 4800 baud, which matches what is listed in SatNogs from the IARU Coordination

Thanks for sharing.
I tuned it up and downsampled to a more reasonable 48k.
april24_narrow5.zip (111.1 KB)

You can use this flowgraph to do that:
soci_tune.zip (1.3 KB)

I’m curious, the format looks like 2.4Msps signed int, but it differs quite a bit between what software you use.
Audacity says it is float, SDR++ will only show anything reasonable in non-float mode, soxi says 76.8Msps.

All these unknowns will throw off anything we measure in these.

I also get 4k8 in inspectrum:

The whole frame excluding the 0011-style preamble looks like 2440bits/305bytes.