Firefly ALPHA: Noise of Summer Launch (ELaNa 43) - 2024-07-04 04:04 UTC

I have also looked over all my STRF data when 60207/208 passed.

There where no signals visible, but if the antenna is indeed not deployed my RX setup won’t be able to catch those small signals.

2 Likes

SERENITY frequency 437.000 or 437.100 ???
In first post - 437.100

1 Like

Hi Vlad,

Looking at the db, I would say 437.000 SatNOGS DB - Serenity

Have a great weekend, and thanks for the OOV-Cube soundmodem from Andrei

1 Like

Indeed it is 437.000 MHz, I’ve fixed it in the first post, thx @EU1SAT for finding the typo!

2 Likes

Regarding SOC-i, for the pass over the Eastern U.S. around 0120utc (24-July-2024), the max EL over my location for Objects ‘E’ & ‘F’ was approximately 80°.

Unfortunately no signals were seen at or around 437.125

2 Likes

That’s unfortunate. Thank you for listening. My guess of E or F was based on my hearing something during passes roughly corresponding to those two (see below), however A and D are still unconfirmed to any of the 8 from the launch, so SOC-i could be one of those as well. (It could also be dead by now for all we know.) I’m curious, did you scan E and F by actively tracking each or did you point to the max elevation location and listen as the train of satellites went through that region?

For what it’s worth, here is a picture showing two of the bursts I observed during one of my observation sessions. There were ~6 intermittent bursts like this over the course of ~2 minutes around 03:44 UTC on 16-July-2024. At that time D, E, and F were all very close together (only 4 minutes from first to last overhead). I am curious if anything turns up if you look at D with a fresh TLE.

1 Like

I’ve scheduled some observations for SOC-I on higher gain stations.

3 Likes

did you scan E and F by actively tracking each or did you point to the max elevation location and listen as the train of satellites went through that region?

Neither - I was using a 2.5-turn helical omni + LNA. Comes in very handy when the orbit of an object is not confirmed. (this antenna does an excellent job for me and, contrary to conventional wisdom, often receives a STRONGER signal than a directional-gain antenna – particularly when the directional gain antenna is not pointed directly at a spacecraft)

1 Like

Ah, understood. I’ve also listened with an omni via the Goonhilly WebSDR with no luck. Our undeployed antenna unfortunately gives the link budget a -11 dB hit compared to deployed so I don’t think any omni setup is going to be able to hear it.

My strategy has been to point a directional antenna statically at a location where the satellite will pass through the antenna beam. Since it’s beaconing at 8 seconds, it’s sure to send some packets while in the beam pattern (assuming it’s still alive), and I don’t need to worry about perfectly tracking.

1 Like

Just keep hunting for it, do note that there’s pretty decent stations online that hasn’t seen it. Two examples is 1888 and 2380, indicating you need >18el yagi or 36el x-yagi. Something like a huge dish or unwieldly long yagi :stuck_out_tongue:

I’ll wait for the results from Dwingeloo (:

4 Likes

The Dwingeloo observation SatNOGS Network - Observation 9925154

No signals as far as I can see :frowning:

2 Likes

I listened on the Dwingeloo WebSDR at around 05:40 UTC earlier today and also heard nothing, but this station’s tough because you have to have a pass that goes through the dish’s static pointing location which is at 30˚ azimuth and 30˚ elevation. The pass you linked looks quite low for it (I don’t have a lot of technical knowledge of the antenna gain pattern, though).

In any case, we seem to be having no luck with 60207/E. 1888 and 2380 both look like they’d pick it up if given the right TLE. @fredy can SOC-i be updated to 60208/F and some observations scheduled using that TLE instead? If still nothing on F then I’d like to try D and A as a last-ditch attempt, but we can cross that bridge when we get there.

1 Like

Done! Just give it 48h before we change again the TLE.

1 Like

Good evening @clkelly

The network received a possible SOC-i candidate, now we are trying to identify this signal but we need more information about the frames being send.

Modulation. framing etc, can you please share the information.

Jan PE0SAT

4 Likes

Radio Model: Pacific Crest Micro XDL

Frequency stability +/- 1 PPM

5 kHz and 25 kHz, software derived

Modem Specifications:

Link Rate/Modulation
    4 Level FSK:
        9600 bps
        19,200 bps
    GMSK:
        4800 bps
        8000 bps
        9600 bps
        16,000 bps
        19,200 bps
    Link Protocols:
        Transparent EOT/EOC, Packet-switched, TRIMMARK, TRIMTALK, SATEL
    Forward Error Correction: Yes
1 Like

OMG Jan this is very exciting. I’m cautiously hopeful. How far apart are those beacons (in seconds) in the waterfall plot to the left? And what was the time, location, and TLE for this pass? And did you get a recording I could forward to the team?

I have been off the team for 3 years so I am just trying to track down the info you requested. At a high level I’m aware it’s GMSK 4800 modulation, and the message being transmitted in the beacon is this:

There is also this git repo with decoders and more information, however note that these decoders may be specific to a telemetry packet that contains spacecraft data, which is different from the “test” message that is currently being broadcasted (in the pic above).

I’ll keep trying to get more info from a current team member and get back to you. If there is something specific you would like to know that is not otherwise evident in what I’ve told you please let me know so I can search for it specifically.

1 Like

We are looking at this observation at the bottom you see a couple of frames.

This observation followed object 60208 and its corresponding TLE for that moment in time (2024-07-26 05:06:57)

The IQ recording can be downloaded at the following location.also have a look at the readme file.

Jan

1 Like

Another SOC-i observation with the same transmission style: 9928208

1 Like

Good luck to the SOC-I team. I hope those packets mean it is alive.

On MESAT-1, the team are continuing to test and commission the satellite. It is currently in Health Mode transmitting continuously and the downlink power is now about 6dB higher. So it should be easier to hear and decode. If you have had trouble decoding it then now is a good time to try again.

We turned on the Multispectral Camera download Saturday morning. This was test data as part of the commissioning process, so there may be some data captured over NA.

The team will attempt to capture and transmit new science data on the 01:53 UTC and 12.25 UTC passes over North America tonight and tomorrow.

3 Likes

There are indications that these signals that are maybe/hope from SOC-i come from EIRSAT-1

2 Likes