About vetting and other scheduling matters

Indeed as an admin I have the ability to schedule on testing stations. I use this special power only if it is asked from the owner or in special events (ARISS Contacts and SSTV Events, new deployments and requests from satellite teams that searching their satellites etc). In any case If there is any issue please let me know.

Until now the best way to inform people on how to use your station, is the description of the station. There you can describe satellites that you would like to observe and any other requests around the use, like “due to limited bandwidth please limit scheduling to a minimum”.

We are working, and it is already implemented in dev environment, on a utilization factor field, that owner will be able to set for the stations. Also there are plans for adding a way to inform network when a station will be unavailable, this is something I was going to implement, however other things with bigger priorities got in the way.

There is an announced SSTV event, you can find more details at ARISS-SSTV images: Announcing ARISS/NOTA Slow Scan TV Event and there was one the previous week of which I’ve just posted the results

About the “good” data for signals that are not centered (zero frequency), we vet these as good as there is signal from the satellite, even if the data are not decodable. You can read more about vetting in the vetting guide.

In any case not centered signal, or known also as drifted, can have two causes. The one is that the sdr device due to several reasons is not able to use the right frequency, this is why there is a setting in the satnogs-client which allows users to set ppm which corrects this error. More details on that are available at this guide.

The second cause is that the satellite itself transmits in a drifted frequency, again due to several reasons. This should be calculated carefully and be added into the db entry of the satellite. Until now we added a new transmitter for each drift, however we are on transition to use one transmitter and add there its drift. Supporting this in client, is one of the updates that will be in the client’s next release the next week.

PS I’m going to change the title of the topic to be more useful and accurate :slight_smile:

1 Like